1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's winter - How to add greens into a flocks diet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PandCo, Dec 22, 2016.

1. PandCo

PandCo Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Hello,

It's winter around here and I was just wondering what people do to add greens into their chickens diets?
    I know some include sprouting grains and what not, giving them alfalfa pellets, and giving them kitchen scraps that are of the vegetable variety.

I have only been giving them kitchen scraps as of late and I want to get more information on what is the best way to keep the girls happy and healthy in the wintertime.

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a search for sprouting grains....

Thats my plan, I don't know anything I am new here[​IMG]

But it looks easy, soak grains overnight, keep moist a few days they sprout and BOOM, fresh greens.

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I give mine slabs of a mixed grass hay to pick through. They eat seeds and the blades of grass. Some use alfalfa hay and I've read alfalfa cubes and pellets. I also occasionally give mine lettuce from the store.

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I'm fortunate that it hasn't been cold enough to kill off all my vegetables and plants, so the green my chickens get are some grass that they forage, plus carrot tops and broccoli leaves from my garden. Those are the sorts of things that usually get tossed (I eat them, most people don't) that my chickens also seem to love.

5. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Go to youtube and look at "fodder for chickens".

You can use a lot of things........one old book I've got from 100 years ago showed a system just like these using oats, so the idea isn't new. Seven trays for seven days. Start one and feed one each day.

Works well for greens in the dead of winter, but also works well the rest of the year too if the birds are confined to a house or run that is void of greens. They don't absolutely need it, but will devour it when given a chance to.

Alfalfa hay isn't bad either as long as it was put up right. Dry and no mold. Feed it in small amounts and likely they will pluck the leaves, leaving the stems for litter bedding. Too much and they will tromp it down and waste it. Grass hay is good for dry bedding and litter. Legume hay, like alfalfa, clover, etc. will get tromped down and will get wet and mucky as the leaves hold and retain moisture.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I use Alfalfa hay.....a small flake tossed out in the run.......Once in awhile some romaine lettuce or kale........Cucumber....

Cheers!

7. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    I buy my chickens carrots, kale, squash, zucchini, cabbage, sweet potatoes, really any root/fall harvest vegetable. They're cheap enough over the winter months, and I find I eat more vegetables myself by having it on hand for the chicken birds. I dice it or grate it and mix it with their fermented feed right before serving.
    They also help themselves to whatever hay they find lying around, and I increase the alfalfa percentage of their hand mixed feed in the winter.

ETA: Next year I plan to plant a big garden and will freeze as much as I can.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by