1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's winter...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Akane, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
  2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have 4 RIR chicks, 1 andalasion? chick, 11 Quails chicks and 4 broiler chicks in my laundry room.
    And 6 baby ducks, muscovy and pekin duck out side.
    I love having chicks in the house, any season, as long as they can stay inside it's fine with me. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    they wont stay small for long....[​IMG]

4. Akane

Jun 15, 2008
    Their 5x7' is in process in the basement and as soon as I can tell roos I'm only keeping 3 or 4 hens. 35sq ft should hold several pullets until march.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We don't have to worry about that. My love put radiator in the hen house. [​IMG]

6. Akane

Jun 15, 2008
    It would cost more to insulate and heat the coop in Iowa than to add a new addition on my house. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  7. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Same here! I have 16 three week old bantam mixes in a rabbit hutch converted to a brooder sitting next to my computer desk.

I had them in the brooder out in the big coop, but with the temps getting so cold, I was really worried what would happen if the light bulb blew out.

I have some eggs under a broody hen and a few in the incubator, but I don't know if any of those will hatch. I could end up with more though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by