1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Itsy bitsy eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by biteme2134, Dec 5, 2014.

1. biteme2134

biteme2134 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Eggs from my new pullets...

I was given 3 new pullets a few weeks ago and was told they are already laying. They've been integrated into our flock. Two are just about set into the pecking order the third is still on the outside. The egg on the top is a buff pullet normal egg. The next is from a new hen. Darker and pointy. Then we've gotton two tiny eggs. One last week and one today... I think only one of the three hens has resumed laying since the move.

We got two partridge rocks and one production red.

It could be the same bird that is laying the pointy eggs and for some reason lays those tiny ones. Any idea why they would lay these tiny things?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe 1 or 2 just started laying?

Pullet eggs can be very small for a few weeks or a few months after onset of lay.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  3. biteme2134

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop

I wondered that but the lady that gave them to me said they were just about a year old and were all laying. I wondered if the stress of the move could cause it? I've had small pullet eggs before but these are the size of quail eggs if not smaller.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be stress made for a temporary cessation of laying and these are the first couple eggs as she started back up?....only time will tell if they start getting bigger.

5. biteme2134

Jul 21, 2013
    GA
    My Coop
    That was my thought. I hope they get bigger. I just didn't know if anyone else had dealt with this before

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by