Itty-bitty yellow thingies??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by swampcat, Aug 10, 2011.

1. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    So we had the bag of feed in the basement. Next thing we know there's a little bit of a yellowy-looking mold on things near the food bag. Upon closer inspection, these tiny dots (like the size of a pencil tip) are MOVING!!! [​IMG]

And these are all over the feed bag!!

Tossed the whole bag of feed and set it on fire (eww... burnt popcorn smell), but the little yellow things are still in the basement crawling on things. What do I do? We spritzed them with Home Defense Max, which apparently didn't kill them. We do have a closed plastic container of feed down there and they are now all over that but not in the container. What do I do? I am soooo skeeved out right now! Do I toss the closed container even if they are just on the outside of it? Do I hose off the container? What about the crawlies still in my basement now crawling on my chest freezer?

Help me!

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    any pics??

3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Do you have any plants at all in the basement? Could be spider mites or aphids...

4. swampcat

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    I would need like a 100x zoom. It seriously looked like specs of yellow mold.... until you stick your face REALLY close and watch one and see its crawling

5. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

i would get some insect killer and spray it on them. another thing is brake cleaner will kill any bug if sprayed on it. And the brake cleaner wears off.[​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    pics would definitely be helpful [​IMG]

7. swampcat

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Quote:No, its a gross basement.... the husband's lair. Half concrete and spiders, half dirt and snakes. [​IMG]

8. swampcat

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Okay I'm headed down there to take a picture.

9. swampcat

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    This picture shows it the best. The top portion near the white (we have a white garbage bag of the food inside a sealed container)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Research thrips. We had a terrible problem earlier this spring with thrips around the pool area. If it's thrips, it's not gonna hurt anything. If not, good luck identifying these buggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by