I've acquired a new baby, almost

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by showme31, May 17, 2009.

1. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    This mare and foal is on trial here. Hubby says she can stay if I get rid of the ponies that we have.

She's an older girl (in her mid 20's) that was "accidently" bred. My neighbor has a lot on her plate with 60 hours/week working and a daughter that is suffering from brain cancer. She called me Friday in tears since her husband hadn't done a thing to care for her since we got her home.

She had a rough time delivering the baby and refused to get up for several hours. Finally we got her up and all seems to be going well now.

My dd has already claimed her and is doing all the care under my supervision. She spend hours out there grooming and loving on her.

[​IMG]

Smiles
    Jul

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    nothing like a foal to make you smile [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    You are very thoughtful to help out your neighbor like that. I hope all goes well. It sounds like they will be taken good care of. [​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What a great thing to do! [​IMG]

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Oh man, Juls. They're gorgeous. Good luck with them.

6. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Thanks, they are a couple of beauties.

This neighbor and I have helped each other out lots of times. This neighbor would give you the shirt off her back, even if it was the last one she had. She knows she can't sell this old girl due to age and and bum back leg. She just wants her to have a good life and right now she is unable to provide that with the dd being so sick.

My dd (who's 10, btw) is taking this job very seriously and is very pleased to have such a sweet old girl to help her learn.

Smiles
    Jul

7. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    That is so sweet and they are lucky to have you and your DD..

My mare is 24 yr old arabian...wish I could breed her, but she has to many cyst in her uterus...

Good luck and and have fun...foals are the best..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by