I've always said chickens aren't smart, but...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jul 20, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    tonight I watched my adult flock figure out how to use DH's tractor as a ladder to reach the upper branches of the fig trees, where the only ripe figs are.
    They already ate up all the blackberries, now they're after the figs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    [​IMG]

too bad about the figs

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    When it comes to food, they're very smart indeed! (I'm just glad they don't have opposable thumbs)

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:You and me both!! I've seen them looking at the doorknobs!!

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's what we say all the time, about the dogs! We thought about teaching our older dog how to open the refrigerator to get us a coke, then we realized he'd be helping himself to other goodies. [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL I was just thinking this from another thread about how high they can fly! Everybody shared stories about what their chickens use to "ladder" up higher, it was great. They are innovative aren't they!! I have to keep any and all garbage bins away from our yard fence, or they will be up and over lol!

P.S. send your chickens over here lol, I have a fig tree and nobody here eats them. Chickens included. Out of 5 chickens I ended up with 5 carnivors only LOL. So send your girls this way to clean up my tree hehe

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:How funny! My chooks adore figs. Favorite fruit, bar none. Figs are the one thing my rooster won't share with his girls. Any time I go anywhere near the fig trees, he stays right on my heels hoping I'll give him one...or twenty.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I wish my girls were like that! Heck I got three sets all from different people and not one of them likes fruits or veggies. The only veggie they will eat is corn, and they tore my corn stalks UP lol! But we have grapes, tomatos, figs, peaches, apples, cherries, peas, everything really and none of my girls will touch any of them. We don't even need fences except for the corn lol! But I always end up throwing salads away because none of my girls will look at it. I need a goat... LOL

9. EE lover:)

EE lover:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    North Carolina
    lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :lauthey should've been at the great fig fight! my grandparents used to have a huge tree me and my brothers used to climb in and one of my brothers threw figs at people!

10. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Chickens lack much intelligence, but sometimes they have these random actions of complete genius. I dont get it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by