I've always wanted chickens and I finally have my own little flock :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jamiehadlock, Nov 29, 2014.

1. jamiehadlock

jamiehadlock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2014
    Goshen, Utah
    When we bought a house on an acre of land, I knew I was going to have a coop full of chickens. We bought 16 chicks in March! Boy was I serious about this. I thought only half would survive our amateur abilities at raising chicks. But all 16 did! We ended up with 12 hens and 4 roos. Rural farm life (neighbors' dogs) thinned our flock down to 2 roos. We were getting a dozen eggs a day by mid summer. We were sharing with everyone! Recently 2 hens went broody so we slipped eggs under them and managed to get 6 new chicks. We are having a blast and we just adore our chickens!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Awesome! Welcome to BYC! Chickens are fun, aren't they? :D

3. jamiehadlock

jamiehadlock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2014
    Goshen, Utah
    SOOO much fun @cackleberrycam! My ten year old is absolutely crazy about them. She is out there all the time talking to them and wandering around with them. She's the one who told me the hens were sitting (broody). I had no idea what she was talking about. She said "I think they're trying to hatch eggs mom". I have never had so much fun with a pet. They're part of our little farm family :)

4. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    It is quite the same at our place! :D

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hello, nice story. I know you are proud of your flock.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by