1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've become an auction stalker!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HathawayHens, Feb 23, 2011.

1. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    Sooooo... I just got an incubator this spring, and it is set with my first hatching eggs (day 9, 13/18 developing [​IMG] ) and yet I CAN'T stop looking at all the egg auctions!!! Not to mention everyone's signatures where they mention what eggs they might have. This would all be well and good, but I only live on an acre, so I can't go totally crazy with chickens. Luckily, I do have friends that "enable" me by taking extra birds to their farms...

Is anyone else addicted?? Is there a cure, or do you just keep hatching?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Let's see, in my book, 1 acre holds 264 chickens. Hatch away!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok, when you start waiting until the last second of an auction to one up the high bidder, you become a shark sniper. Welcome to the club.

4. HathawayHens

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    lol [​IMG] This is definitely awesome. I will be hatching all spring, I fear. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Join the Easter hatch!!!!

6. HathawayHens

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    Quote:Join the Easter hatch!!!!

yes, I intend to, but I may have to do it at the kids' school... they want to hatch some out. [​IMG]

7. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I confess, I'm a shark sniper.....I also hover over the puter looking at the egg ads.. No known cure. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    Quote:That's a lot of room per chicken

one acre = 43560 square feet

43560/264 = 162.121212 square feet per chicken

I think I could cram a few more onto an acre. LOL

9. bkwurth

bkwurth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    I just bought a used Little Giant still air, didn't know anything about them. I have mixed chickens and just wanted to hatch more hens to get more eggs(I have 4 kids)! LOL Then I start learning about different breeds of chicken. I bought 31 french black copper marans and they are hatching right now. I'm down to 24 eggs and one hatched, healthy chick. I hope yours goes well. I think for my first hatch its been great.

10. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    You are not alone. I too, am looking at auctions for reasonable prices for eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by