I've become the crazy chicken lady next door!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mainemaid, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Mainemaid

Mainemaid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    Hi, everyone! I have been lurking and occasionally posting for some time now, but thought I should introduce myself. I'm Mainemaid because I live on the coast of Maine and many days I feel like the maid. If I'm not picking up after my husband and kids then I'm picking up after the clients at work. I just realized last week that I have become the crazy chicken lady next door when my neighbor put up a plant barrier between her house and my vegetable garden and coop. Since half the plants are on my property I offered to give her a hand in planting. That is when she told me she wanted to put up a fence but her husband told her no (maybe that's because he knows that part of his driveway is on the line). Anyway, I find it funny that she does not want to look at the garden and coop. This is only year one, coop has been in place for about a month and a half. Next year will look better because the landscaping will be done. I have a dozen Lavender Orpington chicks and a small coop and run. I plan to be down to 8 birds by fall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Ha! The crazy chicken lady! I think a lot of us can relate to that.

Beautiful coop and run! And your babies are adorable! [​IMG]

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! That is a really cute coop and run, we on BYC would like to look at it all day! Sounds like you are putting together a nice flock, Lav Orps are really pretty birds.

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Nice coop (and really like the artwork inside it!).

5. Mainemaid

Apr 25, 2014
    My hubby thought he'd be funny. He says very home needs a family portrait. Anyway it is one more thing to confirm that high level of crazy going on over here. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. We are all chicken crazy here. You're Lavender Orpingtons are beautiful. Orpingtons are very friendly, gentle birds as well. My children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets our of ours. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Orpingtons.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds more like you are the nice chicken lady next door , and your neighbor lady is the crazy one. NO FREE EGGS FOR HER.

I hope she knows when she plants on your side of the line - they are YOUR plants. If people don't defend their property lines, - crazy neighbors can end up claiming them when time passes with no complaints. At least in our state we have laws like that.

If she gets really testy,or does a war dance about your birds, tell her you plan to fence the property and she loses part of the driveway on your side. It would be good if you check the survey of your property and put at least a low fence as a marker between the two of you. I don't trust her one bit.

8. Mainemaid

Apr 25, 2014
    Thanks Dumbstick Diva, but I'm not worried my hubby and her hubby are good friends.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love your chicks!!!!!!

10. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Your birds are beautiful! Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by