I've been bitten/stung and I don't know what it was.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greeneggsnham, Aug 15, 2010.

1. greeneggsnham

greeneggsnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Southeast Missouri
    I really thought I had escaped this year with getting bit or stung by anything. I was just outside trying to help my dad get his helicopter out of the tree (he's a kid at heart) and on the way back into the house I felt a sharp pain on my thigh. It's been about 4 or so minutes and it's already swollen to a little bigger then a dime. It hurts like crazy and feels really hot. I've already cleaned and treated it and taken 2 benadryls (sp?) so I should be feeling better soon. I have no idea what it was that stung me and I know I dont have this reaction to bees. Anyway I just wanted to ramble a little thanks for reading.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Likely a Yellow Jacket. They HURT like a hot coal on your skin for several hours afterward. Apply ice for the swelling, and meat tenderizer to pull the poison. Good job on the Benadryl.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I was going to suggest yellow jacket or horse fly....both hurt like the dickens! Hope it's better soon.

4. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Sounds like a yellow jacket or something smaller, maybe a small scorpion or a fire ant. In any given day at work I have the potential to be stung and/or bitten by at lest 20 different insects. So far the ones with the nastiest stings haven't caught me yet, just fire ants. Keep an eye on it just in case it was a spider bite.

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    You could try draw out salve- it's black and stinky, but it works!

6. greeneggsnham

greeneggsnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Southeast Missouri
    Thanks guys I'll try to ice it before I conk out. Benadryl works the same on me now then it did when I was little....Instant lights out. [​IMG] [​IMG] It's up to the size of a quarter now and still hurts a lot. It's way up on my thigh though so I know it's not a scorpion or fire ant bite. We do have problems with wasps and if I was stung by one I'm glad it was me instead of my dad. He's allergic and it would've been a definite hospital trip if it had been him.

joletabey- What is a draw out salve? I have tons of herbs and essential oils around the house so if it's something easy I can make it.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I second the meat tenderizer...helps neutralize the poison and makes it stop hurting. i also use it on mosquito bites for the kids.
    sharon

8. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Greeneggs- I buy it at the drugstore-contents read: Green Soap, White Petrolatum, Ichthammol (which is the important ingredient, from what I understand) Sulfated Tallow Sodium Salt, White Beeswax, Light Mineral Oil, and 8-Hydroxyquinoline Benzoate.

It is the ichthammol that does the trick, so you might buy something else as long as that is in it and it claims to be an application that will soothe and reduce skin redness, irritation and swelling.

9. momchick

momchick New Egg

Aug 19, 2009
    I have similar reactions to just about anything that bites. There are lots of insects about this time of year. Wash the area with soap and water, apply After Bite, to reduce the effect of what ever was injected (could be an anticoagulant-type product, if it was a spider or mosquito). the main ingredient is ammonia, which actually helps. Also, Benadryl makes a similar topical (for the skin) product in a stick, and a spray on. If the itch becomes intolerable, you can put hot packs on the site (yes, hot), which will exhaust the supply of histamine in your skin in that area, giving you a break from the itching until your body produces more.

If ever you feel short of breath or like your throat is closing, or your tongue swells, get to the nearest healthcare facility. If you can safely swallow, take a couple Benadryl first.

Good luck!

P.S. I am a critical care nurse...

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:I bought ichthammol salve because someone on here recommended it for a sore on a chicken, but I've ended up using it on myself. Great stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by