I've been bitten!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by freeflyin, Mar 18, 2013.

1. freeflyin

freeflyin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've been bitten!!!!! .... by the poultry bug!

Well, where do I start? I've always been interested in self-sustainability. I think it is a great thing for our own health, physically and mentally, and wonderful for the environment. I have wanted to have chickens for a long time, but the circumstances have never been right. But now it seems like it's going to happen.

My oldest brother used to keep all kinds of poultry, but I know he had chickens and ducks... maybe a goose or two. Anyways, in the summer of 2011 he was volunteering as a firefighter at the annual Madison Regatta hydroplane race when one of the hydroplanes struck the rescue boat that he was in. He suffered some pretty serious head trauma and was in a coma for 17 days. Since then he has been bouncing from one nursing home to the next and also to and from a rehabilitation center for those affected by any type of traumatic brain injury. The good news is he is doing much better than any of us expected. The statistics said he would never wake up, and after he did they told us he would most likely stay in a nursing home his whole life. He has beaten the odds and has relearned many things: eating, talking, writing, walking (short distances with lots of help). My parents have decided to build a new house on 11 acres and are going to connect a separate house for him to theirs. We've decided a great project for me, my brother, and my other brother would be to construct a coop and bring chickens back into his life. As I have been talking to him and seeing what breeds of chickens he may want I have become consumed. He is in awe of these great birds. In response to which ones he wanted, he named a few: rhode island reds, barred rocks, naked necks (turkens). I know my mom will be thrilled with turkens and she will say "of all the chickens he would have to choose those ones!". But I have decided that, based on what I have read, that she will be convinced that they are great birds, if not by me, then by them. When I mentioned a couple other breeds to my brother like araucanas or easter eggers and marans, he told me it doesn't really matter and that ALL CHICKENS ARE BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't agree with him more.

Now my other brother and I (mostly me since I am the most excited about it) are left with the challenge of making a coop that is easily accessible from a wheelchair. I've been thinking access to nesting boxes outside, a pan under a roost that can be pulled out from the outside, and having a door that can be closed from the outside (the door that lets the chickens go from the coop to the run). The actual coop doesn't have to be accessible for a wheelchair because 1. I think having a pan under the roost will help keep it clean and 2. even though my other brother and I won't be there all the time, our dad will be more than willing to help out when it needs cleaned.

This has become like a family project and if you guys have any more thoughts or insights on anything we could do for the coop or really any comments that would be great! I have done lots of research on here, before and after signing up and I am very excited to be a part of a community that takes care of its members. I know this is a long post, and if you made it this far, thanks for reading!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]I am certain I have heard/read about someone on BYC who was in a wheel chair and his family built his a chicken coop that he could access on his own. If I can find the info, I will get back to you.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm back, I did a search on BYC for "wheelchair accessible coops," some did pop up with ideas of what could be done. They also mentioned those who use a scooter type which wouldn't require as wide a door (I suppose). Maybe you could check those out. Also you could google them and see what comes up. I wish you luck with your endeavor

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

That's very exciting. Good luck with building your coop and I hope you and your brothers enjoy the chickens!
    I think self-sustainability is a great thing to be looking into, especially in this day and age where you hop down to the shops and get anything you want. It's really quite a different take on life. :lol:

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, freeflyin, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! That is a very admirable undertaking you and your family are doing for your brother! Animals can be very therapeutic - I am sure being around chickens again will aid in your brother's recovery! Good luck and best wishes to all of you!!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. brezlynsmom

brezlynsmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I think you will want the coop itself accessible for the wheelchair just for he has access inside if he wants it. Might be discouraged if he can't get into it. I myself am planning on building a large coop building and putting pens on both sides with a four foot walkway in it for ease of cleaning and etc.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get an antidote - these birds are addictive - welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by