I've been building 2 new breeder pens this past week

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Poison Ivy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I still have to put the rolled roofing material on over the roofing paper we nailed on. Then I have to finish staining the 2 hutches I built. I really like the two new pens and plan to add one more to the left side later on when I get my black copper marans going.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Those are really nice! Good work!

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

On the pen, are those all 2x4s? How did you connect them, brackets or toe nailing, to make them lie flush?

I am tormented by my run plans. I've simply not figured out what I want to do yet, or how. I love yours, please share how you built it! [​IMG]

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    What are the dimensions of the pens? They look great!

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

That looks really good! Great job!

what are the dimensions and how many birds do you keep in there- just a trio?

6. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    We bought 4x4x8 square fence posts for the corners and the middle sections. Then all the other lumber is 2x4x8's So that the pens would be 8x8 one pen is about 6" shorter because when we went to dig for the fence posts we found out where our water lines ran from the well to the house at! The center divider is just 2x2x8 since it was only needed to attach the hardware cloth to. I will have to take a picture of the completed pens now because I put up center belly bands around the whole thing and added a small shelf inside for me. We made a few angle cuts to the roof area so it was fairly simple to build it was a first for me so I think it turned out pretty good. Even my Dad was impressed and he's a builder! lol
    My hubby dug down about 6" with the skid loader so we could bury hardware cloth around the pen. I think the total was $300 for everything including the materials for the two hutches.

7. Good for you! They look great!
    One question, the 2nd to last pic...what is that? On the last pic, is there a door or hatch, to clean the pen?

Also...would the deep litter method work in the last pic? Thanks so much for the pics!

8. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    That is a removable roost made from a piece of 2x4 and 2x2's.

I use sand in my coops so I just scoop it daily and then I just add more when needed. I just sweep it out the pop door if I want to replace it completely. The lid also lifts up but later on I might make the one side panel to flip down. But I didn't feel the need to do it now since I don't use shavings.

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    very, very nice job!!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I usually hate flat ground, but it sure makes building things much easier, doesn't it? They look good, Twila.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by