1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've been chick watching ......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chrissieg, Jun 19, 2007.

1. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

My 9 week old chicks are now out in the garage (old enough to have their own flat [​IMG]). The last couple of days I've been letting them out supervised, to graze etc. Any low flying bird will send them scuttling for cover, but when my old ginger cat comes strolling up he is their best friend and they show no fear! :eek: I had to step in when they started pecking his tail! They are BO so I wonder if they just think he is another chick! They have yet to meet my black and white cat!!

OGC often sends my old hen into a panic when he appears under the gate, but she is fox wary. I'm a little concerned - will they learn what is dangerous from the older hen?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Chickens for the most part just know when danger is about. But what they dont "know", yes, the older hen will teach them. Do you have them together yet?

3. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have them together yet?

I'm working on it!

Old hen very interested in chicks - she has been by herself for a bit and is obviously lonely - there isn't much difference size wise - but a lot of weight difference! I did let them mill around together and there was a lot of squalking on her way to the chick crumbs!!

They can stay in the garage for another week, but then they really do need to move out as younger chicks need the space. I have my suspicions that I have 5 cockerels and 2 pullets I just hope they can stick up for themselves​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by