I've been had!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mener6896, May 17, 2009.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    because I am so new to chickens, I think I am a sucker!!! I recently placed an order for chicks from a hatchery. I paid extra for pullets (which is only 90% accurate anyway) I also paid a boxing fee for choosing specific breeds, plus shipping and handling...for a total of 25 - day old pullets, I spent around $88 averaging out to about $4/chick.

I went to a local farm (to pick up a side of beef) and was pleasantly surprised to see all of his chickens!! Probably well over a thousand!!! Now of course his hen house was a huge pole barn, but they all did free range! He had them all over the yard. My farm friend said, he purchases the chicks around 50 cents apiece (he buys 2000 at a time) but sells them for $1.50 a piece. He was shocked that I paid so much!! He had all of the breeds that I had ordered!!

I feel like such a dope!! I know where I will be getting all of my future chicks!! He also said in a couple years when mine are slowing down their laying, he will buy them from me and sell me all my new chicks.

This farmer is a good friend of my dad's and has been running his farm for well over 20 years. He has everything from cows, goats, sheep, deer, to peacocks, guinneas, quail, chickens, turkeys, chourkeys (he crossbred a chicken and turkey) parakeets, everything you can imagine!!! I was amazed at all he had!! He said he would be happy to give me any advice I need!!

my question is: what is the average price people pay for chicks? Did I totally get taken by ordering from the hatchery? Is there any benefit from hatchery vs farmer?

Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I wouldnt feel bad, maybe if you ordered 2000 chicks you would get that kind of price to.

3. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    when i bought pullets from the feed store,they where almost 3 bucks apiece. i dont think you paid to bad of a price. if you bought chicks from the farmer,where they already sexed? that would be my only worry. at least with your order you had a 90% chance of getting what you wanted!

4. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    What a wonderful resource to have this farmer so close and so enthusiastic! That is really a treasure -

Don't feel like a dope... not much different than buying something the day before it goes on sale - I don't think you've been had really, hatcheries run a business after all (though $4 seems high for a true hatchery chick - not from a breeder though)
    I dunno, maybe you could call it prepaid karma for all of the wonderful advice and support you will get from your farmer friend, as well as a connection to your Dad in some obscure way.

I ordered mine through a farm store that gets their chicks from McMurray hatchery, because we didn't want to have 25... Even there they cost around $2 apiece (they make $$ on the chicken schwag chick buyers load up on when they're there with a sweet peeping box). That said, this is the last time I'm buying hatchery chicks... wonderful as they are, I think with my little flock I would like to be a bit more high-minded about maintaining and perpetuating the higher standards that small breeders embrace - not to mention the fact that in whatever small way, I'm supporting small farmers. Pretty important, I think.

Don't worry too much about it, and have SO much fun with your new flock!

5. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    If it's any consolation I paid $3.25 each for ours, at a feed store.

6. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    shipping only 25 chicks is different. when places like TSC order them, they order way over 25, so the cost per chick goes down. whether you get 25 or 50, they still have to be packaged properly, and that costs. the fewer chicks you get, the more it is going to cost per chick.

i don't think you've been had! i wouldn't worry about it! you've got 25 little babies now!

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Two months ago I paid $5 for one duck from a feed store (turned out to be a drake too [​IMG])

I just paid $25 for 3 Welsh Harlequin FEMALE ducks. Guess what? Worth every freaking penny [​IMG]

I got exactly what I wanted. I got females like I wanted. I got the qty I wanted. They are healthy and I am very happy.

8. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    That's about what we paid fro 28 chicks in July of last year. I was in grad school, working, and being a wife and mom. It was worth the extra cash to wait, and I still think it's one of the best deals on pets around.

Yeah, you found a new source. We all do eventually! It's frustrating, but don't be too hard on yourself.

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    His are probably all straight run so in order to get 25 pullets you'd have to buy 50 birds at $1.50 each, then raise them until you can sex them, so you'd go through twice the feed you would have. Then all those roosters you'd gotten attached to you have to find homes for and you know some of them are going to end up as stew. I don't think you made a bad choice.

10. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I paid $2 for each of my day olds. Sorry... I've been learning a lot hanging around this forum. Hopefully you can save some money on other things by reading here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by