Ive been killing my 6 week olds Help me save one! update, graphic pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 26, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    I think its all my fault. Theyve been in a small dog house with a fenced in area with no light.. and the temps have dropped so far lately!Ive lost 4 in the last 4 in the last two days( not counting the guinea that just up and disappeared.. i know it flew out and wandered off.. and now i have a lonely guinea in with the polish [​IMG]

the last 2 were this morning and one was laying on the floor inside just trampled and pooed on. quivering legs and all.. I KNEW when i felt outdoors this morning i was facing a grim circumstance. I NEVER woul dhave put them out if i thought the weather would change so drastically to chill them.

I brought it into the garage and borrowed a white heat light from the meaties and he actually opened up his eyes so that was improvement from just a few minutes. I brought him inside debating on whether or not to give him a very warm bath.. i decided to do it.. and dry him off with a blow dry. He will actually stand/ crouch now! im hoping thats a BETTER sign.

Very very skinny and i am presuming the rest are this way now.. maybe from energy usage to keep warm over these past four days?

he did try to drink a little bath water when his head came in contact, but i tried making him some warm oatmeal... no interest in eating.

What do i do to entice eating?

BTW there seems to be some amount of food in his crop.. not much.. but a little.

Is ther eanything i havent thought of or that i should do??? The others will be coming back in OR be getting a light strung out there by the end of today. my polish and guinea plans are pretty much absolutely SHOT as of right now [​IMG] im heartbroken.

Right now he is exactly as the picture shows.. in an old basket i found with his/her oatmeal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Treat with Sulmet and terrra at the same time... Cocci... They should be fine outside.. they are cocci riddled... Most lkely.... Get on it TODAY.... they will bounce back in 24 to 48 hours.. I would pull them inside to treat for a day or two. They have no reserve left.

3. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    can it be cocci with normal poo?

i have no idea where to get those and how to give it.

the poo is normal with the little white on top like my older birds.

I wanted to add that they arent feathered underneath their wings and belly still has sparse down.

4. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    And everyone was eating healthily yesterday and when i fed this morning they all jumped in the dish( even though ther ewas some still in it.. you know the oooooo new food! thing)

I jsut want him to eaaaaaaaaaat [​IMG]

5. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Could they have smothered each other trying to pile up in the dark?

6. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    I agree, I don't think it's the cold. I have 5 week olds outside and I'm in NH.

7. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Poor little guy, I'm so sorry! Don't beat yourself up about it, stuff happens like this to all of us at one point or another.

I would say you need to get them eating and fast! Here's what I've done in the past when a little one needs to eat but won't....

Take some of your mash/slurry stuff, put it on a small spoon and very patiently sit with them in your lap and gently wipe little bits onto the side of the beak, right at the crease. It's their natural reaction to lick it off, just take your time, it takes a while to get a good amount into them and do it repeatedly throughout the day. I'll bet they pull through, just need to get some substance into them. You might try mixing in just a little bit of honey if you have it, they like the sweet taste and will give them just a little bit of energy so hopefully they'll start eating on their own.

I would also consider putting corrid in their water, just in case it is cocci as well.

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    How bout some vitamins(w/o iron) and sugar in his water to perk him up? [​IMG]

9. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    oh man.. i left home for a bit and came back and this is what i found.... still alive but even when i try to reposition, it goes back to this in the matter of 10 seconds.

Maybe its just me and because i am inexperienced in cocci, but it doesnt seem to fit. The rest of them outside seem to be fine.

They came from ideal.

[​IMG]

10. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i checked on the others and they seem fine...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by