Ive been looking to earn a bit of extra cash babysitting...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jenny1, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    So, Ive been looking to earn a bit of extra cash by babysitting. (We only get about 4 eggs a week, so Im not gettin rich that way [​IMG]) So I found someone who goes to my church who needs someone to watch her 4 year old 3 days a week for 5 hours and then drive her to preschool. My daughter would love a friend. The hours seem nice. The drive to the preschool is 10 minutes each way, plus getting 3 kids in the car, out of the car drop her off in the school, 2 kids in the car, out of the car. How much should I charge for this? Anyone either watch kids or have someone watch thier kid? We live in a nice neighborhood in Phoenix and I want to make this worth my time. Also, just gas will be a buck a day, plus the cost of food and snacks and arts and crafts. So dont tell me like 1 dollar an hour. (someone offered me that once, I declined)

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Check out the daycare ads on Craigslist for your area and see what others are charging per hour or per week etc

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I babysit, I usually ask for at least $10 an hour, depending on the number of kids and how well I know the family. For really easy jobs, I ask for a little less. I usually don't have to drive kids anywhere though, so I would probably ask a bit more for that to factor in gas and the complication of getting all the kids in the car.

It can be a bit difficult at first to watch kids other than your own, but once you get them into a routine, they seem to do really well!

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just wanted to add, that when I watched a boy while I was in highschool, I would come over every day after school and watch him until about 5 or 6 when his mom would come home from work. She paid me $100 a week. At the time, the boy was only about 4 and I did that for about 3 years until I found a job with a vet. I would probably ask for something in that range. She'd be paying MUCH more for day care.

5. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Thanks. Interestingly, I called a daycare nearby they have a preschool like half day program that is 5 bucks an hour, but it doesnt include any food or driving.
    On Craigslist I saw some ads for 5 bucks an hour, some for 25 a day, some for 125 a week flat rate. And yet everyone pays a teenager 7 -15 bucks an hour around here if they want to go out for dinner....

I ended up saying 105 a week including meals and transportation. I hope that sounds fair. I would lov ethe job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by