1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've been priced checked, now I feel kinda guilty.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Dec 31, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Somebody called and asked if I had chicken coops for sale. I said, "not at the moment, but I'm taking orders". Well, I could tell that he was just price checking me. Going to compete with me I guess. Makes me laugh a little, because mine is a labor of love. If this poor guy thinks he's going to make a bunch of money doing this, he's got a big surprise coming to him. Either it will be very poor quality and nobody will buy it, or he'll have so many hours into it, that he can't make much of a profit. Well, I guess he'll find out for himself. [​IMG]

2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Oh yeah that fun. I had a feedstore once and the competiton would come in like he was visiting and walk around the store slowly and check out the prices. We didn't mind, I know there was no way it would affect my store.

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh yes, I get that all the time with new petsitters starting out. I used to feel uncomfortable but now I dont mind.
    Take it as a compliment that they are using you as a benchmark!

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    LOL...been there with our aquarium maintenance biz![​IMG]

It always amazed us how some folks would want a "million dollar tank" but at the same time, these same people didn't expect to pay more than $30.00 for once a month maintenance visit. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dawn

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Some folk can honestly be silly - try to outprice someone else, and end up messing up their own finances.....

Why don't people just figure out what it costs in materials and labor and price their products?
    Dorks! [​IMG]

6. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Not only that, but you've got to take into account, that I also have a lot of expensive equipment and pneumatic nailers. I just think of some poor guy trying to do it with a skil saw and a hammer. UGH! I just wanted to say out of kindness, really don't go there. [​IMG] I ususally use the money I make to buy cooler tools [​IMG]

But then maybe he's a sicko like me and just has to be building something all the time. Didn't sound like it though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  7. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    It is a competitive world we live in. Best of luck on your coops:)

8. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    SKILL SAW --> [​IMG] Hubby will not let me touch the electric tools.
    I have a set of Vintage hand saws.
    I have the kids stand on one end of the wood while I saw away. [​IMG]
    I do have a cordless drill.

I made bunny pens for our rabbits I figured it cost me $80 for wood, wire, nails latches & hinges.
    Some one saw me making them in the driveway and asked if I would make them 2 I said sure, Each took me 2 days of work and I made $40 profit on each. It was fun but I would not do it again. HARD ON THE HANDS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a long one for the ducks But I goofed on the angle of the roof I should have slanted it to the back not the front. GUESS I WAS GETTING TIRED. And the girls were sick of standing on the wood. I also wore out my old saws
    So I Put a protective coating on them and now they hang on the side of the chicken coop for decorations.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Those are awesome Fluff - wish I was that handy!

10. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Wow, you did that with hand saws?? Nice work, but CRAZY. That hand saw stuff is just to hard on my old body anymore. Got to have POWER!!

See $40 doesn't even come close to paying for your time. I don't pay for my time either, but I love doing it. If I don't sell my stuff, I can't make more. I'd get over run with stuff. So I kinda just sell it to get it out of the house to make more room for more stuff. DH just doesn't understand do stuff for the love of doing it. Everything is money with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by