I've been reading this forum about separating broodies...

scullybird

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Corvallis, OR
... and I was curious.

Do they have to be completely away fromt he rest of the hens? Our coop is a totally enclosed run, huge, with the house in one top third of the run.

To separate, could a broody be put into a dog crate, and left in the run? She would be physically separated, but could see and hear the rest... as well as be protected from cats, dogs, coons, etc.

Or, would it be best to simply put her in the house?

Just curious! Our chicks aren't even 6 weeks, yet! I just like to learn.

yes! you can just put her in a dog crate and leave her in the coop. It is just to keep others from getting to the eggs or adding to her eggs. And it keeps the chicks safe when they first hatch. Just fix her up a little apartment
tongue.png
I use one of the big dog crates and put a food and water setup right in with her and it works great.

Yes! It's safest to seperate them and I often use a dog crate in the pen or a rabbit cage or the old brooder box, etc, etc... I get a lot of broodies.
roll.png
If they're not getting bothered by the other chickens, sometimes I let them brood in the big pen, but you have to monitor the situation closely.

I maintain a flock of Silkies just for brooding for me and I strongly support broodies
love.gif
Good for y'all to plan for it now! What breeds do you have?

I have very unlikely broodies. RIR, white leghorn, barred rock, and two black stars. I wanted layers, but I want to be prepared *just in case* one of them should go broody. Since we don't have/want roosters, I think if I got a broodie, I'd just go to one of our several local organic egg farmers (small poultry farmers), and see if I can get some fertilized eggs for her.

I like to plan as much as I like to do!

Those are unlikely breeds, but stranger things have happened! Get yourself a Silkie or a few game hens - then you'll be in business!

Back
Top Bottom