I've been spurred!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensista, Apr 26, 2008.

1. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Thank goodness I only have a small silkie roo. Gonna have to spend some more time in the run. What a little booger. [​IMG] Snuck up behind me while I was giving the girls some yogurt. He pecked, I turned and advanced toward him. He jumped.
    I'm going to have to practice my chickenese before I ever think of getting a LF roo. Apparently I'm not pronouncing "respect my authority" correctly. [​IMG]
    Terry

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    once roos start flogging.they usually get worse.an nothing you do can break emm from spurring you.

3. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    once roos start flogging.they usually get worse.an nothing you do can break emm from spurring you.

Really? So the best I can do is not let him sneak up on me?
    This poses a dilemma only because I have a 3yr old. I can deal with the mean critter, but she certainly can't. sigh​

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you dont need a mean roo round your 3yr old.he might jump up a spur her in the face.mean roos an kids are why im so deadset against roos.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Not true.

Check out the link in my sig. line to my roo behavior page.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia

Thanks for the helpful info. rooster-red! I didn't want to have any roos, because of the exact behavior that led to this post in the first place! I kept one (out of 8) of my roos, because he is such a sweet boy and I didn't have the heart to get rid of him. Now I know what to do if he gets out of hand! Hopefully you find this information just as helpful, chickensista! [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA

After re-reading my post I should have said "Not true in most cases", because there are some roo's that you can't do much with, and this is stated in my page.

8. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    It's a silkie roo. How much damage can it do? If it was a large breed then I'd
    be concerned.

A silkie roo fits nicely in the palm of your hand, just like a football. Get my drift?

My silkie roos used to attack me. They would do a lot of damage cause I'd laugh
    so hard at them.

Bottom line: He needs to know you are the alpha hen/roo or he needs to be in a pot.

9. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

After re-reading my post I should have said "Not true in most cases", because there are some roo's that you can't do much with, and this is stated in my page.

Hey, rooster-red, your page has turned my BO roo, Brutus around in a matter of 2 weeks...and he's a big sucker...11 pounds at last weigh-in.

Chickensista - hopefully your silkie roo is quickly turned around. If we can do it with our 11 pound tank of a BO roo, anyone can!

Em

10. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Rooster-Red,
    Thank you for the info. I've already read your site - I think I just need to spend the extra time with him. He's challenged me before, and I've gotten him to back down. But this is the first time he's spurred me. (he has, however, spurred - or tried to spur the dogs) They were being naughty anyways.. But with spring here I've been in digging in the dirt more and with the chickens less.

It's a silkie roo. How much damage can it do? If it was a large breed then I'd
    be concerned

chickenshadow - to me it is a joke(although he did draw blood through jeans), its my 3yr old I need to worry about. She doesn't know how to be an alpha roo. But she does intimidate her daddy. LOL I guess my point is he may learn that I'm alpha roo, but still be aggressive towards my daughter and/or her friends. Which is why chicken stew might be the way to go here. Guess I'm just attatched to the big killer. He's my first roo.

Chickensista - hopefully your silkie roo is quickly turned around. If we can do it with our 11 pound tank of a BO roo, anyone can!

Thanks, Em! Maybe there is hope yet. I'll give him(and me) until the end of May.

Oh, how will the story end... [​IMG]
    Terry​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by