I've been sucked in, too

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MariposaMama, May 10, 2009.

1. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    I didn't plan to hatch any eggs, I've got as many chicks as I need at the moment (and too many of them roos). But, when one of my co-workers approached me on Wednesday with an egg carton in her hand, all that changed. "I brought you some of my pheasant eggs so you can show them to your daughters" she said. "I just collected them yesterday and they haven't been refrigerated, so you could hatch them if you want." So, I make a call to another friend and tell her that I would like to have her old bator after all if she still wants to get rid of it. She brings it over and once hubby repairs the broken cord, I am now the proud owner of an LG9200 still air bator.

[​IMG]

Of course, I couldn't just put those five tiny pheasant eggs in there all alone, so I set aside a dozen of my best looking chicken eggs, too.

[​IMG]

The pheasant eggs went in yesterday afternoon and the others will join them on Tuesday. So far, the bator is holding a pretty steady temp of 100 and the humidity is staying between 40 and 45%

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've attempted this, and I'm sure I'll do most things wrong, so I'll be amazed if anything hatches. It's going to be a very long three weeks. [​IMG]

2. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    sweet!! i've got 35 pheasant eggs in right now too, due around the 24th. i can't wat for them to start hatching. i'm praying that i'm doing everything right for them. good luck with your hatch!

your's look like bluebacks? do you know what they are/will be?

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  3. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    oh yay! How fun [​IMG]

Good luck & keep us posted!

4. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    Quote:She said they are Ring-necks, the same kind I used to hunt with my dad when I was younger. [​IMG] I don't know what I'll do with them if any hatch. Part of me wants to make pets of them and part of me wants to eat them. Think I'll wait and see if they actually hatch before I decide.

I'm just as curious to see what the chicken chicks might look like. Most will be barnyard mixes, so they could look like anything. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by