I've been swindled!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheirogloss, Sep 2, 2009.

1. cheirogloss

cheirogloss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Lenoir, NC
    We bought our 20 wk old BSL last Monday, and now I believe they are considerably younger. None have any red in combs or cheeks, all are still pinkies. I'm thinking they were probably closer to 17 wks, but I may be wrong.

On top of that, of the two "laying" BO also purchased, one is evidenty barren (no eggs since arrival over wk ago) and the other looks like it may be a roo! Plus, the BR is nuts and is living in the woods, alone, of her own choosing. Its like we have a therapy home for wayward chickens.

Don't get me wrong, I love my flock and they already follow me around the yard and take treats from my hand. I am just worried that with the photoperiod shortening that we won't get any eggs before the days become too short [​IMG].

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm no expert, but I think it takes more than a week for them to adjust.

I have a BR, so post some pics and we can guess the age.

3. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Deep cleansing breath!!! [​IMG]

Post a pictures of the BO's. This crowd will tell you if you have a roo. Also, it is not uncommon for the stress of being re-homed to cause a hen to stop laying for a period.

The age of the BSL's could be a bit off. The combs should be pretty far along at 20 weeks. Sorry.. But hey, they could still start laying in a couple of weeks. [​IMG]

I had a tree loving BR too! Banished to the coop for a couple of days. Cured.

We have all been where you are! Flocks are like our families... they look normal to outside world... only we know they are all crazy.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  4. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    It takes a while for them to work out the pecking order and settle in. Keeping them in the chicken yard for a couple of weeks helps.

Watch that they don't start to lay in the woods. For some reason, hens want to lay just about anywhere but in the nest.

The color of the combs is supposed to indicate that they are ready to lay, however, I have hens with very pale combs that lay every day.

Good luck,

Rufus

5. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I bought some grown Dominiques awhile back and it took three weeks for them to settle in and start laying. Fingers crossed!

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    When a hen is stressed from a change in environment ( new owner,area, weather etc) you can count on your egg deposits to be zero. Once she is adjusted she will settle down and start to lay. This can be 1- 3 weeks or even more, that is if she is old enough to start to lay. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by