I've been thinking about this for a couple of years...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Debbie1, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Debbie1

Debbie1 Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2012
    What chickens do the best in very cold winters?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] According to our handy Breeds section the cold tolerant breeds are Cochin, Rhode Island Red/White, Wyandotte, Welsummer, Marans, Jersey Giant... There's more. Have a look. You can also narrow your search criteria to egg production, comb type, broodiness etc.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Google the Henderson chicken chart, it also rates breeds on their cold hardiness

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Debbie1, and [​IMG]! Best of luck in your cold weather breed search. I think a warm coop (as in draft free....not necessarily heated - the chickens themselves keep it pretty warm) is very critical. The breeds sumi mentioned and others, Chantaclers for example, are great cold weather fowl. Good luck to you!!

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us. :frow

A whole lot of breeds do well in cold weather, even Turkens (also called Naked Necks) that have no feathers on their necks and about half the feathers as normal breeds on the rest of their bodies. Others have given you good plaxes to look for which breeds to look for.

I don't know what you consider cold weather for chickens? Chickens wear a down coat all year. Some do better in cold than others but heat kills a whole lot more chickens than cold. With a properly constructed coop, which means good ventilation and good draft protection, people keep chickens in Alaska without providing extra heat. Here are some articles that might help you decide what you need to do as far as a coop. I know I should not, but I kind of smile when I see people worrying about it being too cold for their chickens when they are in Florida or the Gulf Coast.

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Pat’s Cold Coop (winter design) page:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

Maybe this will help demonstrate my point. It was 4 degrees above zero Fahrenheit when I took this photo. The wind was dead calm. Mine really don't like a cold breeze. But I just left the pop door open and let them decide what the wanted to do. At 4 degrees Fahrenheit they wanted to take in the sun.

[​IMG]

The biggest risk to chickens in truly cold weather is frostbite, especially in the combs and wattles. Certain breeds with small combs are less likely to get frostbite. But lots of people keep single combed breeds with huge combs in cold weather without a problem by providing a good coop.

Good luck!!! Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  9. Hello, Welcome to BYC ! :)

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by