I've been to Cackle Hatchery!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JudyMcKinn, Aug 12, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Hi,
    Have some new babies I am proud of. Will try to post pics in a couple days. There aren't many kinds of chicks still available this time of year, but they had some 3 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets, and I got 6 of them. also got 2 Cinnamon somethings?? They said some cross, will be mostly white with some dark spots and a few red spots. Ever heard of them? Then got one Black australorp and one Rhode Island Red, and 2 black Sex Links. I was wanting some pretty colors, but something that will grow up to lay good sized eggs. I know the SLW are pullets, then I forgot myself and got carried away picking out the others, but I think they were from a pullet cage. LOL
    I know RIR are an old, common breed, but I was surprised at how dark colored it was, so thought I would see how it grew out. Mom used to have RIR's, years ago.
    Anyway, they are all cuties, so wish me luck with them.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Judy.....luck you to be so close to a hatchery and get to pick your babies first hand. Congrats on your new ones! Of course....we want to see them...so get that camera going girl!!

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I like the dark RIR's,,,sometimes I get them and they grow up to be on the lighter side.They are a good all around chicken and lay nice eggs. How lucky were you yesterday!!!!!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe Cinnamon Queens? That's a sexlink bird. Never heard of the word Cinnamon being used in any other breed.

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    That's it Cynthis,,,I was trying to think of it. They are also supposed to be nice too. My memory is starting to be a thing of the past I swear.

6. speckledhen

Judy, the really dark RIRs aren't seen too much in hatchery birds so that's great. Hopefully, it will grow up as dark cherry mahogany colored as my Scarlett who was hatched from Julie in ALs dark RIR rooster awhile back. Here she is, if you haven't seen her, pictured next to her half Buff Orp sister:

[​IMG]

7. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Is she the really dark one, Cynthia, or the red one?? Mine definately isn't that dark.
    On the Cinnamon ones, I can't remember what the other word was, so you are probably right. What color are the Cinnamon Queens?

8. speckledhen

She's the REALLY dark one. The lighter, orangey Lucille Ball redhead is a RIR/Buff Orp cross-same father.
    I'm thinking the Cinnamon Queens have alot of white on them, some reddish-gold coloring, too. Dont recall exactly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by