I've Caught the Chicken Fever!

jnbelknap

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Arroyo Grande, Ca
Hi, Everyone! I am Jacki in Arroyo Grande, CA, and I am so excited to say that I am a new flock owner. I started five weeks ago with a visit to a great little chicken farm, and watching the free-ranging birds only got me more excited to begin my journey. I brought home two Easter Eggers (2 weeks old), one New Hampshire Red (2 weeks old), one Buff Orpington (4 days old), and one Barred Rock (3 days old).

One day when I was feeding my girls before heading to work, one of my Easter Eggers was sitting on top of the water container and began to crow. Yes, she is a he (first picture). I tried to deny it, but now accept it, and I am actually very excited. Although I didn't initially want a rooster, I had bonded so closely to this bird because the others picked on him the first week. Now, he's keeping the peace as such a gentleman.

From what I have read on these forums, I understand that if I have a rooster, then I should have more hens than the remaining four. Oh darn! I had to get more:) I found these new three pullets in town. Unfortunately, they are not the breeds I was told they were, and now I am afraid whether or not they are all pullets. I was told they were two Ameraucanas and a Golden Laced Wyandotte, and now I see they are three Easter Eggers after help on here. I hope none are cockerels because I would have to take him back. I have some pictures below of my eight as they are today. The last three individual pictures are the new birds. Any confidence in gender?

We built an awesome coop while the chicks were in the brooding box, and a few days ago I moved them into the coop! What fast learners they are. It has been awesome to watch them adjust to their huge home. This website was instrumental and invaluable as I designed the coop, and it is such an accomplishment to see them spread their wings (literally and figuratively).

So, thank you everyone--for the advice I have already taken from you, and for the advice forthcoming. What a great community to help with this wonderful beginning.

Best,
Jacki

What beautiful chicks and what a nice home they have to live in! It's nice to hear someone is going to keep a rooster. Most places don't allow them. I'm not good at all on breeds - really wonder what the black & white one is. Maybe we both will find out on here.

If you post clear photos on "what breed or gender is this," someone may be able to identify.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

Wow your chicks are adorable! If you are wondering about genders of your chicks, you can post their pics on our What Gender section for help with sexing your cute chicks...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy the crowing!! Nothing better than that first crow of the morning telling you that a new day has dawned!! Welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom