I've Created A Monster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Grace11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Grace11

Grace11 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    I've a little hospital unit (dog crate and havent had to use it as such yet, thank goodness) it is in the house since theres nowhere else to put it when its so cold outside. I use it when the rest of the chickens peck certain of the girls out of the nests when they try to lay-its almost always one or the other of the EEs or the lone Andelusian who get picked on. When I see the bullying going on and see that the peckee is desperate to lay her egg, I scoop her up and haul her to the dog crate in the house. Usually they will lay in a few minutes, but sometimes I think they drag it out because they get to enjoy some quiet time without anyone harrassing them.

Yesterday morning, Claus, one of the EEs (named Claus because she has a really huge beard) escaped out the coop door while I was trying to get in with a platter of lettuce (theres a pileup of hens when they see that platter and they crowd the door so I can hardly get it open), I set it down, did a quick egg check and went to get her. I couldnt find her and then heard loud clucking from the direction of the open back door. Went up to see her disappearing into the house and by the time I got in the house she was standing beneath the dog crate and obviously waiting for me to put her in so she could lay her egg! I obligingly put her in, she laid her egg in short order and I got her out and put her back in the coop. She pretty much did the same thing today, but I caught up with her before she got into the house.

It IS pretty funny. [​IMG]

But this is not gonna be fun when theres a foot of snow on the ground.

[​IMG]

2. DeepFried

DeepFried Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    This is funny... maybe you can "train" the rest to lay in the crate and install a remote control run door. Then they could bring the eggs to you. No more going out to get them :D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. Grace11

Grace11 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    I think the best thing is that she starts this beautiful little chortleing/deep clucking all mixed with low sweet sounds when she knows shes gonna get into that crate and continues until shes laid. Its the nicest sound I think I have ever have the luck to hear.

4. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like you have a mommies girl on you hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by