ive decided to have an endelss suppy of food, but what kind.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Oct 14, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

some one told me that i may just slightly be depriving my girls so ive decided to have feeder that the hens can eat from whenever, but i don't think pellets will work, what is the best food for this?

2. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

I leave pellets out everyday, free feed. I tried the crumble but they just scattered it all over and left a mess, then I switched to pellet. Keep the feeder up off the floor at the height of their backs, I go a little higher. I take the feeder down at dusk and put in a metal garbage can since I saw about 4 rats on the feeder one night and put it back up when I let them out the next morning. I have a couple goats so I cant leave the chicken feed outside the coop, but toss a few handfuls out when I let the chickens out in the morning. They always have water, inside and outside the coop.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Pellets work best for my birds.

4. pcircle85

pcircle85 New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    Southern WV
    Do chickens self-regulate? I have fish and a dog, given the opportunity, they would eat themselves into their graves...

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I free feed my chickens lay crumbles they don't like the pellets. They will only eat what they need. I have two feeder that I keep half full all day. You might be surprized at how much they will eat. They all so have water 24/7

6. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

i have 23 chickens so i do want them laying and being happy but dont want to have to buy heaps of food guess you cant have it both ways.

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, they do. Well, at least mine do. :/

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

How much feed do they go through now?

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine certainly do, i leave feed in the run and the coop, both i only refill a couple times a week. With only 4 birds they don't eat much at all. Eta; i use a crumble form, it's actually a flock raiser since i have waterfowl, i like to use the same feed that way it's always a fresh supply since the chickens are such a small flock the food would last forever in a 55lb bag.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Yup. They do a pretty good job. I always free feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by