I've decided to make chickens "my life"

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by mandelyn, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    So I've been looking around for something to go to school for, since tuition is covered. Initially I was thinking Wildlife Management, but now I've switched over to AG with an interest in Poultry.

Don't know what direction yet, I'd imagine something will pop out at me a couple of years down the road. But I feel better already for having some kind of direction!

Maybe a hatchery, or a rare breed expertise, after working in the field professionaly. I'm sure there's something, US poultry is a 22 billion dollar industry. Most of that is commercial meat and eggs tho.

But still, free college and the ability to manage my own personal flock better... win-win! Bonus if I find a job I like in the field or can branch out into something of my own.

Wildlife management would have been fairly specific, counting deer, working at Fish and Game, maybe if I doubled up and did Environmental too there would be more options. But then again, I'm not a fan of hiking through 3 feet of snow or going bog diving in swamp land with aligators... all possible things, since you have to go where the jobs are, and there aren't that many open positions.

As it stands, I have a lot of time to kill and right now I'm just a house wife anyways with no kids... so I gotta do something or else go crazy!

2. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Congrats on finding your direction. You know, if I would have worked instead of having kids I probably would have chose a similar path. [​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by