I've done it, actually ordered my chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by frostbite, Feb 6, 2012.

1. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    All this time in the forum and never owned a chicken, well, technically still don't, but at least now I can claim to have paid for some!

A couple friends and I got together and put together an order big enough to get over the 25 chick minimum.

I'm getting 6 girl chicks; two Easter eggers, and one each Australorp, Cuckoo Marans, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and a white Silkie for my daughter, (who leaves home for veterinary school before the darned Silkie is three months old, how silly am I?)(and it's straight run, so I have no idea if I'll end up with a cute little laying hen or a darned little roo, who had better be as sweet as a hen.)

Hatch date May 7th.

Now I gotta put the finishing touches on the coop. Beautiful day today, 30 degrees ABOVE zero, great day to be outside, but still a little too much snow on the ground to fence the run.....

Cheers, all.

2. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    I know exactly how excited you are ;) I'm waiting for my first chicks to get here next week. I also had to bite the bullet and buy the 25+1 chicks... PLUS I called back and got 8 phoenix chicks (6f/2m) that I'm going to sell later... I think ;) I'm going to sell off a bunch and leave myself with around a dozen. Gosh... if I can. LOL I'm also hoping that I luck out and those straight run buggers end up being girls.... [​IMG] post pics when they arrive!

3. frostbite

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Ah! Most excellent! This is a cure for "empty nest" syndrome. Hah!

Good luck on your new babies. Only a week to wait and prepare; it drags on, but flies by.

I guess I've got between now and May to figure out how to post pictures here. My camera is pretty ancient, takes those three inch floppy drives instead of film, no memory of it's own, and I'm not much of a techno wiz. But I'll work on it....

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Congrats on the order! I'm looking forward to placing my first order sometime in the next few weeks here. It's exciting, isn't it?

And wow, that is an awesome old camera. I salute you, my friend!

5. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Congrats!! My hatchery chicks will ship out on the 15th and my eggs in my incubator are going to hatch on the 18th, I'm going to be overrun with chicks. [​IMG]Good luck with your chicks and I hope your silkie chick turns out to be a girl![​IMG]

6. frostbite

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I've actually got an even older camera, a single reflex lens 35mm from before the digital age, nice camera, took excellent pictures for me back in the day. But technology changes faster than chickens!

Cheers to all us first time chickeners! What fun. Today I shoveled a path through the two foot deep snow to get to the coop and start planning my finishing touches. When you've got a small coop, figuring out where to put the roosts when they can't be over the water, or the food, or the nest boxes, or the door, or other roosts is a challenge! And then design it so it's easy to clean?

I'm almost there on the roosts. And I think I'm also almost there on the electrical system. And now to celebrate that progress, I'm gonna deep fry a turkey for dinner!

7. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    [​IMG] I'll be right over!

8. frostbite

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    48 minutes and the turkey was nicely done. Tasty, leftovers are in the fridge, it's a fair piece of a drive to get here while it's still warm though...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by