I've Exiled My Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tamrajh, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    He was seriously hurting some of my babies by pulling their neck feathers and pulling them around by them. Or he'd peck them on the back. One of the hens he would run off from the food too.
    My husband thinks I'm wrong to do this but it just really bugs me to see him being so rotten to the girls. I think I'm going to see if the girls are happier with him outside the chicken run for a while. He's definitely not happy. I'm content. [​IMG]

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    The poor roo!!! [​IMG]
    Roosters are ment to domanate his hens. Sometimes it can get rough. But things work out EVENTUALLY... [​IMG]

3. Tamrajh

Tamrajh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    West Haven
    I've given him weeks and he's just picking on this one hen and two pullets. One other pullet, a different breed, he leaves alone.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I had to segregate ALL My hens from the boys - they were pulling out their back feathers. Honestly - I can't stand my roos - I have one (beautiful blue Jersey giant who is the meanest thing that ever lived.
    We just call him Mean Blue! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:No, not always. My hens are happier since the mean roos got friendly with the crockpot. Way too many good roos to put up with the ones that are jerks.

6. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Quote:No, not always. My hens are happier since the mean roos got friendly with the crockpot. Way too many good roos to put up with the ones that are jerks.

Yup. I have my two roos in solitary until I can get them cooked. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by