I've fallen off the wagon - Coop #2 Rabbit Hutch Rehabbed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ScaredOfShadows, Jul 13, 2010.

1. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh man after the fiasco I went through last year I thought I would only have a few pet chickens (silkies) and maybe a few layers and leave it at that...SO my original 4 silkies and 10 EE chickens have turned into 10 silkies and the 10 EE adolescents...NOW I've got a hen sitting on 8 eggs, and getting another dozen mille fleur d'uccle hatching eggs in the mail this week...oh boy....

SO I'm gonna need another coop...I had decided awhile back I was going to re-home my rabbit who has a 5'X2.5' hutch...so the rabbit got a new home yesterday...

Today! is demolition day to strip down the chicken wire and clean out the rabbit crud that has collected in the hutch and starting on my intial plans on how to refurbish this less than perfectly built structure (but great frame) into a chicken coop.

NOW : On to the next adventure.

P.S. will add pics after this rain spell passes through and I can take a few pics. I forget to get before pics! [​IMG]

wish me luck!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    There's wagon?!? Shh..... don't tell my DH. I'm trying to convince him that the chicken addiction is incurable!

3. ScaredOfShadows

Turkey - LMAO. [​IMG] I won't rat you out to the hubby. I thought I was over it after having to cull all my chickens last year due to someone stupidly dropping off an infected rooster while I was on vacation. Don't know how long he was out in the yard with my chickens - but atleast a day or two and so 80% of my flock had mareks and or infectious bronchitis and so had to be culled. I moved a few months later in November into my dad's place and swore I was only going to get a few 'pet chickens' for Shawna again when spring came and I could build a new coop...

HAH - I've got the chicken bug again. Apparently its in-curable. [​IMG]

4. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Soooo sorry about your last flock. I'd be so POed if that happened! But, at least you've got some nice new birdies to console you. No better cure!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Grrrr to the idiot that dropped off that chicken! [​IMG]

Fortunately for us all chicken-itis is not curable. It just went dormant for a time.

6. ScaredOfShadows

No lie - you want to talk about mad! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I hated to cull my flock - but we had a few birds that weren't infected, and infectious bronchitis can be 100% fatal sometimes - and we started having a few drop dead on us - so we just made the decision instead of waiting around and putting ourselves and the birds through it - we (my cousin/roommate and myself + a couple friends) culled the ones who had tested positive for either. SO it broke my heart - but in the end had to be done for the better good of not dragging disease around and the birds were pets but also breeders - but could never sell another bird as we lost NPIP due to having to call in state vet to test everything.

It was a horrid mess. Now I just have pets - and I love them all - and I'm not worried about disease or anything - I'm doing everything I can to get these guys disease resistance and they are all vaccinated - but if they get sick and it doesn't seriously hurt them - oh well. they are pets they're staying where they are. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How awful. I'm so sorry.

I lost 9 8 week olds to a predator in one weekend, so I know that I'm gonna cry feeling all too well.

8. ScaredOfShadows

what i've done so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  10. ScaredOfShadows

Guinea OMG thats too funny. Yes I have the adorably cute little evil fuzzybucket silkies [​IMG] but they are so darn cute always - you can't help but love 'em and get addicted!!

I love my neighbor's guineas that run around my yard all the time - 11 of those free ranging around and now joining the ducks in the preaching @ 7 am and 7 pm at my back door is too funny. The silkies just run around and are crazy waiting for the treats to rain down around them [​IMG] the ducks and guineas demand it - lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by