I've Found Something That Ducklings Like Better Than a Pool - Lots of Videos

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, Mar 30, 2012.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

A pool with a shower!

The smell was getting out of hand so OldGal and I decided that it was time for the quackerettes to move to the screened-in porch. We moved them without incident last Wednesday. They didn't even seem to notice the change. I cleaned their brooder/wading pool and gave it to them as a place to splash, but they didn't seem interested. They'd occasionally get a drink, jump in for a few seconds and not much else.

For my next project I constructed the pool filter. The reaction that I expected from them was, "OH NO! The giant has changed something again. Run away! Run away!" I couldn't have been more mistaken. The moment I plugged the pump in they all went running to the pool to see what the falling water was all about. They were elated. Of course, since I wasn't expecting this reaction I didn't have the camera ready, but I got it as quickly as I could.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Look at those girls grow!!!!!

[​IMG]

So, did I miss a post about the filter? Is it sand and charcoal?

3. OldGuy43

No, it's just a bucket packed with a coarse weave plastic cloth that is used around here for erosion control. I only meant it to take out the solids. So far it seems to be working, but it'll be a few days before I know for sure. Even if it doesn't, the kids seem to like it so much that I'll keep it just for that reason.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I had been thinking about doing something similar, so I appreciate seeing the setup!

5. OldGuy43

For a pump I used this one from Harbor Freight although the next smaller one might have been better:

http://www.harborfreight.com/620-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68393.html

This kinda looks like what I used for filter material. I don't know if it's the exact thing because I find mine in smaller pieces just blowing around the roads.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Weed-Control-Landscape-Fabric/dp/B001T8ASCM

I could post a picture of the actual stuff tomorrow if you'd like. It works really well. Doesn't slow the water flow much at all.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Nice!

I think I would lean toward a solar pump, because I like those and the location of the swim pan and - soon, I hope - a little pondlet out back.

I have what I call geotech fabric, the stuff that goes under stone walkways and some roadbeds. I could try that.

Yeah.

[​IMG]

7. OldGuy43

Not meaning to stick my nose in where it's not wanted, but be sure and look at the lift spec on any pump you buy. That's the max height it will push water up to. Solar powereds get pretty pricey by the time you get a respectable lift.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, I would not have mentioned it if I did not appreciate insight and wisdom, OldGuy43.

Sometimes I pass on solar ideas, sometimes I go for it. I'll look around. But sometimes the seemingly pricey solar option is less than the cost of running electricity to a relatively remote spot.

Is four foot lift a big deal for a pump?

9. OldGuy43

For a 110 v. pump, no. Apparently, for a solar powered one yes. Expect to pay $140 and up to get 4' of lift. Oh, and you really don't want to run any pump at it's maximum rated lift. The amount of water falls off drastically with lift, so to get a working pump you need at least 2' of leeway.

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmmmm....

I may have found a $24 pump that can run off of a small panel I already have. That would be a break.

Fun to try to piece things together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by