I've go the hubby on board....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Mar 7, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    not that it really matters. But I was told I can't buy any more animals until I start working. I have a pretty good job prospect lined up (thanks to hubby's boss) and I got a bit of money from neighbor after his dogs killed more of my chickens. So, after thinking I'd see what TSC got in and give some fosters to my amiable broody muscovy, I decided to go a better route. I called TSC today and they had mallards. I have NO interest in mallards. So after trying for 2 weeks (not long I know) I decided quality would be much better than buying whats available locally.

I raise my birds for meat so I want to get some Pekin to cross my Muscovy with to get a faster growing meat bird. Metzer Farms (who I got my very first ducks, Runners, from) has a Grimaud Hybrid Pekin. These birds grow to weight in 49 days!!

So, hubby agreed that I should wait until after the "easter holiday" price increase (an additional $25) to order some ducklings. I will get 5 female and 5 straight run (that I will expect to be male) Hybrid Pekin. I will keep 3 females with my muscovy and keep a trio of purebreds (i think).

We then had a discussion about post office pick up as I will hopefully be working very soon. Hubby thinks it would not be appropriate for me to ask for a day off to pick up ducklings. I told him he could do it and I'd let him know what needed to happen. He was actually amenable to the idea (he doesn't deal with the birds, though he likes to eat them LOL). But I think beak dipping and food watch can work for a little while.

So, I will be getting some new babies (that I am going to have to brood myself [​IMG] unless someone outside decides they want some babies [​IMG]) in the beginning of April. Hubby is on vacation the second week so I'll order them for delivery then. I'm actually very excited to have some noise making ducks again.

2. SiTran

SiTran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    My khaki campbell are coming in April too, can't wait!

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Congrats to you. I am so NOT looking forward to brooding ducklings. I was so hoping that I'd be able to pawn them off on one of my hens. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by