I've gone chicken nutty...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LilacHomestead, Oct 14, 2013.

1. LilacHomestead

LilacHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Hello I've been reading the BYC posts for a while now and have finally taken the plunge and signed up.

My husband and I moved to the bush from Melbourne Australia to take up residence in his late grandfathers farm. At one point his Pa had over 200 chickens and sold free range eggs from his back door. Now we have a flock of 5 Bourbon turkey, 9 Aruacana Pullets, 5 Orpington, 5 Sussex, 6 muscovy, 2 geese, a broody silkie, not to mention the sheep, two rabbits and my persian cat. Add in a baby and it's a party.

I free range my birds over 8 acres (not that they ever explore that far, they mainly scratch up worms in the veggie patch or tap at the back door for treats)

Although I'm still learning about poultry there's one thing I do know; my last four dreams have been about chickens and I think I have a serious addiction on my hands.

looking forward to my time on the forum!

1 person likes this.
  2. Christabelle

Christabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Dayton NV
    Welcome! We are all a little nutty here. Good luck with your addiction. It's a fun one to have! :)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Your farm sounds wonderful. And I'm SO glad to hear I'm not the only one who dreams about chickens!

4. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome, we are all just as bonkers here, so that makes it normal.

If you think you have it bad now, wait until you are hatching your own.....I have the worst case of 'bator brain going!

5. boofy

boofy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Dorset, uk
    Chicken nutty , well I think it makes more sense that a waste disposal unit that I saw recently on TV , I've had my chucks for years and wouldn't be without them. I've got the bug now for hatching too, my god is is addictive or what. Funny how I can crack open a lovely fresh egg for breakfast without a second thought but when there's an egg that doesn't hatch I feel so sad for it, like a real lose come over me. OMG I'm chicken nutty alright.

6. fallenangel79

fallenangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Ohio
    welcome :)

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC! When I started hatching eggs, I used to break eggs in the pan for breakfast and see that little bullseye on the yolk that showed the egg is fertile and I'd think "What a waste, I could've hatched this!" [​IMG]

8. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Wait until chickhen math takes over, we planned on 25 max. well over 100 now[​IMG], and when I see a breed I don't have at a show or swap I just gotta have them[​IMG], unless my wife sees them first[​IMG] then she has to have them. lol

Welcome and enjoy
    Steve.[​IMG]

10. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    It has been 1 1/2 years since I started with chickens. Dh agreed to 6 chicks to make me happy. Since then I have had a few breeds and met a lot of great 'farm' folks. I am now expecting my first order of 40 chicks by mail at the end of this week and have hatched about 50 or more this past Spring! (I sold most of what I hatched:)) Chicken math WILL set it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by