I've gone done and caught me ANOTHER varmit! (No pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DoctorGoose, Sep 4, 2007.

1. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    So, went out to feed the horses this morning, heard some screaming, and there was a 'coon in my trap! NOTE: the trap wasn't baited! I've been trying for three months to catch that thing that keeps eating my chickens, and it walks in there of its own accord. :| I couldn't kill it.

So I cleaned the rifle instead. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

DoctorGoose. Glad you was able to FINALLY get that little monster. Are you going to take it for a LONG ride....far far away??? I have yet to catch a varmit.....not sure what I would do if confronted with the problem. We all say....S S S ..well....then when the time comes....not sure I could. Its just hungry, and doing what comes naturally. But then again....if it was getting MY chickens....maybe I could! [​IMG]

3. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi DoctorGoose,

So what did you do with it?[​IMG]

Amy

4. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    I called my dad over to shoot it for me. I really couldn't do it. If it was actively attacking my flock, definitely, but not just sitting there.....[​IMG]

So now, as he says, it's up with the Big Raccoon. [​IMG]

I feel bad, but it's MY CHICKENS! (and horses, cats, geese..)

Edited to add: My dad says I should throw it down my ravine to "ward off the other coons"...but personally, I think it's gross and I want to bury it, but he says that the rest of the pack will come looking for it--anybody have experience with this? I don't want the rest of the coons to eat my chickens as revenge!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  5. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Trust me other coons won't come and eat your chickens for revenge. You might want to hang it on your coop wall, this might keep other coons away.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I would have no problem killing it since it is killing your chickens. None of that 'poor thing doing what comes natural' there are other things in the wild for it to eat that will at least have a chance but it is nature, being served up on a silver platter is not natural. [​IMG]
    I wouldn't want the carcass around due to my fear of the coyotes coming in for an easy meal and then discovering chickens, too! [​IMG] I can't speak from personal experience as to whether putting the carcass on the wall will work. Trust those who have had personal experience.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I think it would make a nice hat.[​IMG]
    When the raccoon got Tom, I hated every single raccoon and I cheered when I saw one smashed on the road. That even included the TY Plush Raccoon Bandit which was one of my prized possessions! I put him in a box for the longest time before I got over it...Even my son said that I shouldn't blame every raccoon for the actions of one...he's right.

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Roast coon is awful tasty. You shouldn't let good meat go to waste.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I don't see how putting a coon carcas on the wall would deter other coons. To them its just an animal carcas, they don't equate eating the chickens with dead coons. They just don't think that way.

10. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Lol,[​IMG] Panner123, Do you reallly eat coon? Back in the depression it was a PRIME meal!Here in Oklahoma,having a fresh coon for supper was a luxery.I'll pass now....but during trapping season folks by my coon meat 5$ bucks a pop!!!
    7$ for the hide,5 $ for the meat!!Makes a happy trapper [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by