1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've got a big problem...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blue_Myst, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I've really been wanting to let my two week old chicks outside for a little while to run around, but I know that I should be feeding them some grit first so they can digest whatever they eat properly. However, I can only find grit with oyster shell at the pet stores, and there are never any types of chick grit at places like TSC....

So, my question is, should I let them outside anyway? Not live outside, just occasional trips.

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:What kind of soil do you have, if there is sand or fine gravel in your soil you do not need grit. Otherwise you can get a bag of sand from Lowe's or Home Depot for about $3.00. It will last a long time.

3. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    hmm our tsc has grit, are you sure yours doesn't? A lot of people I've read on here get canary grit, I think thats what it is.....

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    hmm our tsc has grit, are you sure yours doesn't? A lot of people I've read on here get canary grit, I think thats what it is.....

There is grit, just none that's small enough to feed two-week olds [​IMG] I wanted to go with the canary grit, too, but all of the brands I could find contain oyster shell, which I know they definitely should not get for a while yet.

What kind of soil do you have, if there is sand or fine gravel in your soil you do not need grit. Otherwise you can get a bag of sand from Lowe's or Home Depot for about $3.00. It will last a long time.

Just regular sand? Now that's something I can definitely find! Thanks! [​IMG]

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I bought Baby chick grit at TSC last week, it is made from granite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by