I've got a brooding rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hookshot, Nov 15, 2010.

1. hookshot

hookshot Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Hello everyone!

On top of my hen that's having health problems, I've now got a new one! One of my roosters wants to brood.

Of my five chickens, there's three hens and two roosters. One of the roosters is normal, one of the hens is normal, one of the hens is sick, one of the hens is brooding and one of the roosters is trying to brood.

Normally I wouldn't think anything of it and let him do what he wants, only because I've got one broody hen, she has all the eggs under her, and broody rooster has decided he wants to brood on her eggs.

It started off where he would jump on them when she got off to eat and drink, so we would go in and take him off when she would get mad (she would jump on his back, then eventually settle in the nesting box next to him)

But now it's gotten to the point where he just goes right back in afterwards. For the past couple of days they've been more or less sharing the nesting box, but this morning we found a broken egg under, so we decided that's enough. So now we've separated them, and the rooster is running to and fro around the wire door whining and trying to peck at it to get at broody hen's eggs.

Also, there have been eggs in the other nesting boxes but the rooster doesn't seem interested in those. He just REALLY wants to brood on the broody hens' eggs.

Here's a picture of the little bugger in question. Does anyone know why he's so interested in these eggs?

[​IMG]

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    are you sure that one if a rooster? i don't see any saddle or sickle feathers in the rear. and not pointed roo feathers in the neck! what breed is that?

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Ummmm..... Are you sure that's a rooster? It looks like a hen to me.... [​IMG]

4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    idk. but y dont u give the poor guy a nest of his own with fertile eggs or at the least a golf ball just to make him happy.

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    actually, she said that they do have a second area set up for it but it is refusing to brood over them

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I see the problem! That's a girlie! [​IMG]

7. hookshot

Nov 12, 2010
    Chickie'sMoma :

are you sure that one if a rooster? i don't see any saddle or sickle feathers in the rear. and not pointed roo feathers in the neck! what breed is that?

Well that would be embrassing if it wasn't!

I'm not 100% sure, they're not technically our chickens, they're the in-laws who just got them from a friend and didn't know anything about them. We just figured the huge comb on two of them (especially compared to the others) meant they were roosters, especially since the two large-comb ones tend to hang out together. Best we can tell is they're light sussex chickens (but again, that's just from looking on Google, if anyone knows better than I'm happy to take your opinion for it!).

But so if it is a hen, how do we stop her from taking over the other hen's eggs? This "rooster" is quite a bit bigger than the brooding hen, and easily gets into the eggs when he wants.​

8. hookshot

Nov 12, 2010
    Chickie'sMoma :

actually, she said that they do have a second area set up for it but it is refusing to brood over them

Yes, this. There are three nesting boxes, all of them are large enough for all of the chickens, all have hay and the other two have had other eggs in them at some point that the other hen hasn't been interested in.​

9. hookshot

Nov 12, 2010
    Also, here's a photo of the other one we think is a rooster, next to one of the definite hens.

The three hens are all around the same size as the hen in this photo, maybe just a fraction bigger, and the one we thought was a rooster is just a tiny bit smaller than the rooster in this photo (at least we think it's a rooster!!)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by