I'VE GOT A BROODY!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magikchick, Dec 26, 2007.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    One of my showgirl hens has gone broody. She is sitting on about 10 or 11 eggs. They are a mixture of my cochins and the showgirls.

Would it be ok for me to move her. The nest box she is in is used by all the hens for some reason. I would like to move her out of there so the fresh eggs are not mixed with the ones she is sitting on.

This is my first broody and I think it's very exciting.[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I moved mine with no problems. make sure you put her in a dark, warm place and if she's caged give her a break to stretch her legs and pick up grit.

Watch her weight, broodies loose weight while sitting. I keep a small container of food & water close to the nest so she doesn't even have to get off the nest to eat.

Happy hatching!

3. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It's always a good idea to keep a broody separate.
    Obelisk pulls out Penny's feathers and just bugs her to death when she's broody.

5. Hi! Good luck with your broody, Magikchick!

What sort of weight loss might we (as health conscious hens) look for before we should get concerned, (Will my butt still look big and fluffy after being broody?)

signed,
    "the broody-hen-group"

My broody hens are oblivious to everything 'not food related' and then, oblivious the rest of the time.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by