I've got a coon! Help please!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by newchickenownersandy, Jul 10, 2018.

1. newchickenownersandy

newchickenownersandy In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2018
    We just got security cameras and I decided to put one facing my coop. Just watched video clips of a stinker coon who circled and climbed all over my coop for 4 hours during the night! So, started looking up deterrents and read about cayenne pepper and ammonia. I just sprinkled cayenne powder all around the coop with hopes that it will bother him enough to keep him away for a while, but still anxious. So, please tell me about ammonia. I've read about soaking rags. Should I hang them around on the outside of the coop as long as my girls can't peck on them? Any other ideas?

2. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    An electric wire is the only thing you should be spending money on, 4 hours ? He’s going to get in .

Oh and a gun

3. newchickenownersandy

Jul 10, 2018
    I'm worried reading that they will cut through chicken wire. My coop run is completely enclosed in chicken wire with it going over the top and a roof on top of that. But if he's gonna cut through then....
    Guess I need to think about a live trap

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Four hours seems to be a lot of time to invest on breaching a coop. Are you certain only one raccoon is involved?

If you are confident in your build, then do nothing. I would put a little hotwire on the coop.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Chicken wire is not a good barrier to stop a raccoon. Raccoon can chew through it if chicken in reach. It can get in if it finds a location it can get its forehead wedged into.

6. newchickenownersandy

Jul 10, 2018
    I don't have electricity running out there, but could learn how to do this. I've read several posts suggesting it.

penny1960, karenerwin and snow5164 like this.
  7. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Chicken wire? I’m surprised he’s not in already .... electric wire electric wire .....use solar power

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use those low output solar chargers for raccoon related applications where Raccoon also challenging a barrier that slows it down while being zapped. Raccoon will back off if zapped while trying to get in.

9. karenerwin

karenerwin Crowing

Jun 11, 2013
    Cedar Hill, Missouri
    I would not trust the chicken wire to keep the raccoon out. The coon can even reach through and grab a chicken and kill it through the fence. :he We've had that happen when we had some other fencing up that had 1 x 2 inch rectangles.
    We have caught many raccoons in live traps. In my opinion you have to be prepared to kill the raccoon when you catch it. Otherwise, it will just come back or it will become some other person's problem. Do you have any lights out there? We ended up putting up motion sensor lights. That seems to help some.
    Good luck. I have heard that some people pee outside around their coop, but I don't have any personal experience with that, so I don't know if it works or not. However, urine does have ammonia in it. ( I think):oops:

10. Stay up and wait for him! Look up Mossberg 835 racoon eliminater! 100% effective!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: