I've got a few breed questions (& one gender)

Hannahnanigans

Chirping
Apr 6, 2018
Greenville, SC
Hello BYC! I've got a few questions on chickens that have stumped me (not hard to do :idunno) I got this group of chickens at the beginning of May, so they are about 23 weeks/6 months old. The roosters are mating my older hens (my broody just hatched out 3 fluffy nuggets!!) but the ladies aren't laying yet and I'm not expecting much until the spring anyways. Out of 10 chicks, We've got 3 confirmed roos and one cochin that is giving me trouble so we'll start with him/her:

1. The comb and waddles grew out extremely fast, long before any of the others, and then just stopped. They've been the same size and color for probably two months now. Docile temperament for the most part, no crowing or other roo behavior. Keeps to itself and none of the other roos bother it (either fighting or attempted* mating). I'm super unfamiliar with cochins anyways. Are those saddle feathers? Also, good example of a blue? I dunno.
DSC_0868.JPG DSC_0884.JPG DSC_0894 (2).JPG DSC_0865.JPG

2. Logan, the Ameraucana rooster. He's beautiful and my boyfriend loves him, but isn't he just a leaky blue? Not blue wheaton, right? I don't even think the lady we got this batch from even had wheaton genetics.

DSC_0860.JPG DSC_0887.JPG

3. What even is this chicken? He came from the same batch as Logan and my other 3 perfect blue/black Ameraucana hens but he's just awkward to look at (these pictures actually do him justice...). We thought he was just a super tall gangly hen (appropriately named Stilts) up until about 3 weeks ago when the saddle feathers started showing. And he started crowing last week (omg best thing ever :lau). He has to go either way, I'm just curious what happened to make this poor guy look so bad? I guess he'd be considered an EE? He was supposed to be Ameraucana.

DSC_0874.JPG DSC_0877.JPG DSC_0892.JPG

And I just want to show off my other gorgeous birds here :love

DSC_0862.JPG DSC_0849.JPG DSC_0873.JPG DSC_0854.JPG DSC_0853.JPG DSC_0882.JPG DSC_0949.JPG

1 is a cockerel. Either mixed color Cochin or Cochin mixed with something else.

2 is either an Easter egger or maybe an Ameraucana cross. He's not blue wheaten.

3 is probably an Ameraucana crossed with some heavier breed, or else EE crossed with some heavier breed.

They are all beautiful birds!

cochin is a roo i believe. the hens take forever before the combs and waddles grow in, they are a slow grow and feather breed. the roos comb is a lot brighter the hens. i just got 4 cochins this year a few weeks younger then yours. and they all grow at different paces because of the slow growth. the roo of the mix developed the comb and waddles a while ago and the hens have almost none to speak of. I'm still new to the breed I'm just passing info I've got from research and from what I've seen. as for the others i have no answers XD

Gorgeous flock you have there! LOVE the blues! I don't have any blues....

Wait - isn't it generally considered a good thing to NOT have the blues? I may need to talk my hubby into adopting a couple more... Oh, that dreaded chicken math...

heres some pictures of my cochins all the same age so you can see the difference in the comb developement. sorry if some images are blurred i have 2 white 1 golden laced and 1 i don't know what the coloring will be thats the one with the comb. mine are a good 3 weeks younger then yours i believe

golden laced cochin standard
IMG_20181029_164348.jpg

2 australorps on left , on right laced next to i think roo
IMG_20181029_164343.jpg

roo

IMG_20181029_164609.jpg

white cochin ( i couldn't grab pics of my other white cochin she's a runt and hides under my australorp roo.

IMG_20181029_164746.jpg

australorp roo and white cochin better view
IMG_20181029_164729.jpg
hope that helps good day

1. cochin cross
2. could be EE, but it also looks just like a blue ameraucana with a red gene without enough modifiers to cover it up. Usually you'd want blue ameraucanas to have a silver gene so the older they get they dont look dirty. A red or gold gene properly covered up with modifiers will estill ventually turn a blue bird into a blue bird with a dingy rusty color the older they get.
3.some kind of easter egger

You can still pair #2 with the two blue ameraucana hens get a leaky blue ameraucanas, they'll look nice regardless of the leakage! :)

Back
Top Bottom