1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've got a new girl coming today and need advice.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, May 13, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, a friend of my DH is bringing me a chicken today. She had two other friends that got attacked by a fox this week. Spread pieces all over the yard. Some how this one excaped. So, now how do I handle her. I know she should be kept away from my girls for about a month, but I really have no where to keep her plus I worry about the stress she's been under. Is it better for her to make new friends quickly or be alone? What would you do?

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I used a large dog kennel to seperate mine. I left it in the barn. If she's under stress it might be a good idea to do something like this to calm her down. I would not put her in with your existing flock until she's been quarintened.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, I got her. She's a little Black Sex-link. (I already have 10 of those I was hoping for something unique) She's in her cage. She's about 6 weeks old. She'll do good here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by