1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've Got A Real Big Problem With My Goldens! Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by paul88, Jan 10, 2011.

1. paul88

paul88 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    In the last two weeks I lost 3 red golden hens to a great horned owl! Too bad it took me so long to figure out what was getting them and how! To try to make this short, I had a perch about 18 inches down from the netting on the top of my pen. The owl would land on the netting, the netting would sag, then it would grab the pheasant by the head. In two of the cases it managed just to pull their heads off, but the last one it held on good enough that it was able to eat the breast before it dropped it in the pen. I knew a cat couldn't of held on that good and I also then found a horned owl feather on the ground. So I have since lowered the perch enough that they can't reach the pheasants and I haven't had any problems since!
    The problem I do have might be worse than the owl attacks! I'm down to 2 males and 2 females. Yesterday I noticed the one male's eye was watery. Today the one eye is completely shut and the other eye looks to have a slight film on it and I think its sight is almost completely gone. Does anyone know what this might be? I put an antibiotic in the water today but I dont think he can find the water anymore. I'm just hoping this isn't something that wont spread to the remaining three healthy ones!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Any Swelling Anywhere Around The Eye Or Eyes?

3. paul88

Jun 14, 2010
    Yes, there is some swelling.

4. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I had the same problem this summer. I went out one day and found a dead lady amherst hen with no head. Second day I lost a red golden rooster, same story not head. Long story short I end up losing 6 pheasants total. Well one night I was out feeding and the owl hit the cage right next to me. After that I had to move all my high perches and all the perches near the sides. I had one hen lady amherst that had a puncher wound, I put antibiotic cream every day and she got better. I'm not sure what wrong with your bird but I hope he get better.

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Possibly a respiratory disease???

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    What Other Birds (any Kind Of Birds) Do You Have? Also Can You Post A Pic Of The Ill 1 Showing His Face?

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Ahh, it could be disease transfer. Or maybe it could be from the owl when it scratched him.

8. paul88

Jun 14, 2010
    I'll take a pic of him tomorrow. I do have 5 bantam chickens in a pen next to the goldens.

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Your boy probably has Coryza.

10. paul88

Jun 14, 2010
    I'm sorry to say and I hated to do it but I culled my sick pheasant today. His both eyes were closed and his face was all wet from the water coming out of his eyes. He was unable to find the food or water anymore so I decided enough was enough. I'm just wondering if it was coryza that he had, what are the chances the remaining male and 2 hens might get it? I'm wondering if I should cull them all or just wait to see what happens>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by