1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've got a slacker!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Melanie9565, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    Now that I have the soft shell egg problem worked out, the mean girls "it's high school in here" bullying issue resolved, I'm on to I've Got A Slacker! The only one of my four 5 1/2 month old chicks that is not laying is the Ameraucana. I have to admit that her eggs are the ones I'm dying to see. All 3 lay brown so I'm looking forward to that blue egg! But she shows no indication of laying. Is there an age she should start by? She's on the small side, but I don't know if this is common for her breed. Any advice?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Some Easter Eggers can take a very long time to start laying. She will lay, eventually. And she may not lay a blue egg. She may lay green, or brown, or cream. There is just no way to tell.

3. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    Well any color but brown! Darn! I thought blue/green color was what they were known for!!! So if she lays brown, I'm not sure I'll know it was her! But as long as they are known to be a little slower, that's fine!

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They are called Easter Eggers because just about any color is possible. If you want to be guaranteed blue eggs, you'll need to find a breeder of Ameraucana or Araucana.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've got 4 out of 10 laying so far at 25 weeks...have been lucky in that 2 out of 5 EE's lay a good blue, the other is more greenish, 2 still unknown.....
    ......and the 4th one laying, a project bird - Welsummer cock over blue laying EE, is a nice olive.
    Am impatient for the other 6 to start 'putting out' - haha...out of curiosity and most my older birds are molting...so I need eggs!

6. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    As long as she's healthy. She's sweet but skittish! Ironically, I'm allergic to eggs! But I love my chicks! They're a bit spoiled.

7. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Well...let us know what color you get when that first egg comes!

8. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    I will....if I can tell which egg is hers! My orpington started laying about 5 weeks ago and today she laid her first "normal" size eggs. The other two are smaller, but the one is getting bigger. So by the time she lays (maybe) the other two will have normal size eggs and hers will be the smallest! But I will post!

9. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    Okay....so my Ameraucana laid her first egg!!!! She's been trying for about 4 or 5 days. Sits in the hen box, gets out...goes back in. So she finally laid a greenish in color egg. There was a little fresh blood on the outside of the shell. Is that normal since it's her first egg and she seemed to have a tough go of it at first? She seems to be doing just fine now.....

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Congrats!
    Not unusual to see an occasional smear of blood on an egg...especially with a newly laying pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by