I've got chickens but these new ones have me stumped! Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wilmothfarms, Jan 20, 2011.

1. wilmothfarms

wilmothfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Well I've had them now for 6 months...and I've got a pretty good clue now on them but a few have me stumped!!!! So I'm asking your help. I posted pics when I got them as chicks back in the fall. But they were just too
    young and I got so many diff guesses....so gonna try this again now that they are bigger, and several have begun to lay.
    I've got some comparison pics for you side by side of a couple of my older birds too so you can see that they arent what I've got.
    They are hatchery birds, so maybe they ARE what I've got...you know how the quality of hatchery birds can be, or I should say diff. I just dont want to be mean. I do know my couple breeder birds, and my neighbors breeder birds, the others I've seen are just far diff than my hatcheries! Enough said about that. All of these new ones come from Estes Hatchery. They are a broker and these birds can be anything.
    Here ya go:
    Photo 1
    [​IMG]
    photo2
    [​IMG]
    photo 3
    [​IMG]
    photo 4
    [​IMG]
    photo 5
    [​IMG]
    photo 6
    [​IMG]
    photo 7
    [​IMG]
    photo 8
    [​IMG]
    photo 9
    [​IMG]
    photo 10
    [​IMG]
    I hope those came out clear...I do have the single pictures not put into the collage if you need them as a bigger size but you should be able to see them pretty good
    Happy with any help!
    Thanks a bunch

2. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    I'll take a stab at it....

1) Blue Wyandotte

2) Andalusian

4) Golden Lakenvelder, Lakenvelder

5) White Leghorn

6) Delaware

7) Buff Rock

8) I do think it's a Barred Rock.

10) Black Australorp

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:x2

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Number 8 looks like a Dominique.

5. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    The only thing that has me off
    is
    Photo #1
    the legs are all wrong for a Wyandotte...she is completely diff than the wyandotte I have from the same hatchery and from my neighbors breeder birds. My birds legs are almost black...very yellow feet. The comb and legs are a throw off. She is bigger than my wyandotte. I mean its like she is a Jersey Giant and a Wyandotte mix.

Photo 7 - legs again are diff than my Orpington..and also in her tail she has some slightly diff feathers....but my Rock has light slate grey legs...so which ya think it should be....I know def NOT an Orpington their legs are light pink...so ya think
    a rock???? Should her legs be that slate gray or are they a result of cross breeding to get the feather patterns and that could result in the diff leg colors?
    Same question for photo 8 wondering on leg colors....maran colors on bottom of feet are pink arent they?

6. Buschie's dozen

Buschie's dozen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Dominique have rose combs------it Barred rock or mix yard bird.

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    THey look like watered down versions of breeds. [​IMG] Trouble with Hatcheries as they do not show pics of actual stock. The majority use drawing type pics. So unless you know what you ordered it can be a bit of a guessing game on them.

8. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    YES totally agree with hatchery bird quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will never again get them. last spring I got several sold as green egg layers Americana and they ended up being light brown leghorns that were CRAZY and drove the rest of the flock crazy. I sold all but 3. I weeded out the only ones that wernt nuts. But then I saw these chicks, totally diff from the ones I had and went against everything I said, but my thoughts are that I may not keep these birds come spring, or at least not all of them, maybe just a few. I'm buying birds from local breeders and luckily we have some great ones VERY nearby. Foleys who breed the most excellent Wyandottes, A Jersey Giant Breeder, Marias Jersey Giants just across the river in Indiana and a Standard Cochin breeder close by as well, which are all 3 birds I want. Along with SEVERAL others LOL BUT I must say the birds I weeded out and didnt sell this fall before I bought these new ones that I got back in the spring from TSC I JUST LOVE...they are the sweetest birds, and I wouldnt trade them for the world!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

And yes, hatchery stock are always "watered down" versions of the true breed. Also, it doesn't matter if your "Americanas" you ordered turned out Brown Leghorns, you would have never gotten real Ameraucanas anyway. Hatcheries sell Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

10. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Thanks SO much guys! I was pretty sure about most of those..but a couple realllllly had me stumped like I said! I knew I could depend on the BYC crew!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by