I've got keets hatching...---Update With Pics---

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by allanimals21, Nov 5, 2009.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Yet again...this will be her second hatch of the year. I am so over run with guineas! [​IMG] Everyone I have talked to locally has had no luck. Yet I have had I'd say almost 80 hatch so far. I've had 2 hens now hatch twice. I took two that were under her already and stole 4 eggs that were cheeping at me to put in the incubator...its gonna be a cold night here.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    keep us updated and be sure to post pics!!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, this late in the year? Do you always take them away, or do you let the mamas keep them?

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Wow! You are officially the guinea queen! Good luck with the keets.

5. OOOH NOOOO, more Guineas !!!

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:Exactly OH NOOOOO!!! Yes I usually take away most. I leave the hens with one or two. The one hen didnt do so great with her one child. I watched it disappear with a hawk. Also I like to hand raise them for when I sell them. Guineas are more flighty and wild in general but when I hand raise them they seem to take to people better. My breeders I raised from keets and they come when I yell "Guinea Birds" lol

Ok as far as progress. I went out this morning before work and one had hatched in the incubator so I decided I'd better run and check the nest. I took to more babies from her. Then grabbed as many eggs as I could get from her to put in the incubator. So when I left I had 4 in the brooder and one in the incubator with a bunch (6-7) eggs. When I came home my incubator was full of egg shells and my 4 in the brooder turned into a pile. I'm on my way out to see what I've got. Pics and update to follow. [​IMG]

7. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    yay cant wait for pics!!!
    what colors are they???

8. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    [​IMG]

Not the best pic but I took it with my phone. I will get better pics tomorow. Progress update is I officially have 11 with 8 eggs in the bator yet. 3 of which are dark inside so maybe a baby in them? 4 of which the hen left this afternoon and they are duds. I was sitting at 10 and a half keets for awhile. The inlaws trying to help put the ones that hatched in the bator into the brooder pen. Well one lil guy was still wet. When I got home he had been pushed out from under the lamp and was pretty well dead. Still wet really cold and stiff...gasping for air. I put him back in the bator for a few hours and now he is all fluffy and warm. I put him in the brooder. He is a lil shaky yet but I think he will be fine. As far as colors I have 9 pearl grey one buff and one I'm not sure. It looks like the buff but its brown or tan stripes seem darker than the other. Maybe its just a lil bit different. So probably 2 buff. I have had mostly pearl grey and lavender. Out of almos 80 keets I think I've only had 8 buffs which I sold 6 of them for 42 dollars a few weeks back. I've got one pearl grey pied that is gonna be beautiful when he/she (hoping she) is full grown. Then about 5-6 maybe pied lavender. So all in all a good year. Now just to get some of them sold! [​IMG]

9. Cute lil turds !!

10. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    I wish you lived closer....I'd buy a dozen [​IMG]

They are super cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by