I've got pips!! YAY!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BarkerChickens, May 23, 2010.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have 7 broodies! [​IMG] Two are sitting on eggs due now. The remaining 5 are sitting on eggs due next weekend.

Anyway.....I have 2 pips and both are chirping!! [​IMG] I had one hen go broody and then #2 showed up the nest. Rather than starting a new batch, I split the eggs between them. 5 total made it to hatch day (others were not fertile or quiters). So far, there is 1 pip under each hen (how perfect is that![​IMG] ). One of the pips is one of my EEs eggs. She the sweetest bird ever, so I am excited to see how the offspring will be. I see yellow fuzz (wet, of course) and a yellow/tan beak in the eggs, so I am sure it is the Faverolle rooster's (the other rooster was a Jersey Giant (we got rid of him about the time the eggs were set, so his offspring are still possible).

YAY!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Congrats!
    Broody hens are the most reliable incubators [​IMG]

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG]

Congrats. [​IMG] I can't wait to have some silkies so I can hatch under broodies. [​IMG]

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    One hatched under the SF hen...it is an EE hen/Faverolle roo cross. The mom and dad both have great personalities, so hopefully this little one does too! [​IMG] Pip #2 got smashed by my JG hen. [​IMG] It was a little yellow one with clean legs...it hadn't fully zipped yet.

But...a 3rd egg is now pipped...under the SF hen thankfully! If it hatches, I will let the JG mom have it. Not sure she needs another pipped egg...I'll just slip her the fuzzy butt afterwards. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by