1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ive got some random questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nstamper2000, May 11, 2009.

1. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    1. What kind of treats can you feed your chickens and how old are they when you start?

2. Does anyone use a natural wormer? Like something that can be used for goats, ducks, turkeys and chickens.

3. Whats the deal with ACV? What are all the benefits it has? What all can it be used for?

4. What is the incubation period for quail, guineas and ducks?

I think thats it. If anybody could please answer my questions I would be very greatful! Thanks!!!!

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:I start feeding snacks at about a week old. Small earthworms, crushed cheerios. I also give them a shallow dish of sand to dust bathe and get grit. At 2 weeks I dig up a clump of grass from the yard and put it in their brooder. A t 3 wks I start tossing in weeds, clover and other yard goodies. If the chicks are big enough they can have small crickets and meal worms at 3 wks.

I use natural wormers on my birds. I don't want to have to pull eggs for a month. That's a lot of wasted eggs when I'm just worming profalactically.
    In the fall I give them smashed open pumpkins and they inhale the seeds which is also supposed to be a natural wormer.

ACV is one of those things some people swear by and others shrug off. My opinion is done right it can't hurt and might give some benefit. I use it if the chicks aren't doing well in my opinion.

I don't know incubation times. I think ducks are like 25 days.

3. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Thanks bunches! Did not know that about the pumpkins. Will definately do the treat thing also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by