I've Got Stupid Ducks.

Orange Ribbon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
We have 7 peking ducks and one mallard. They are not very friendly, nor do they follow us around even tho we messed with them quite a bit when they were little. They just do their own thing. They do let 5 Ameracanas hang out with them since they were all raised up together in the chick box, but they don't have anything to do with our other chickens. The mallard will bite any other chickens that get too close.

Anyway, we bought a small wading pool yesterday and filled it up in the front yard. Spent 10 minutes trying to catch a couple ducks to stick in it. Man, they holler like they are being killed. Put them in the pool and they hauled their little butts out of there and took off. So we got back and watched to see if they would return and if any of the others would take a swim. They finally made it over after we threw a little corn out beside it. Then they started drinking out of it. Finally a couple tried to get in, but they were too short. So I found an old lawn chair cushion and put it next to the pool for them to use as a step and put a little corn on it to get them up there.

Well, they got up on the cushion, ate the corn, took a drink, then got down and walked around the pool trying to get in it. After about 15 minutes one managed to get in. The mallard was trying like crazy to get in the water and was getting frustrated. She would walk off, come back to try again, then shake her head and walk off. Finally another managed to get in. Over a half hour went by before the rest realized they could use the cushion to get in. The mallard got in last. Then she went berserk in the water, splashing and carrying on which scared the other ducks who jumped out and ran for their lives! After a bit they came back and it started all over again. Only two remembered to use the cushion and the rest paced around and never did figure it out. I let them out this morning and when I checked later they were all in the pool so I guess they have it figured out now.

I hope the geese I am getting turn out to be smarter than the ducks are!

Now we know why the term "bird brain" is so popular.
gig.gif
I have a BO roo that hasn't figured out where the gate is on his run. He has been trying to find it for over a year now.
th.gif

Glad I'm not the only one! I even helped them out and put the pool in the corner of the run, effectively removing half of the possible areas to get in at, so that it would be easier to find the brick steps. Around and around those steps they went. Finally the Blue Swedish figured it out. Took the rest awhile to figure it out. One Pekin is DUMB. The other 2 Pekins follow the lead of their Mallard/Pekin buddy who seems half way intelligent. It's smart enough to know I'm not out there to kill them.
lol.png

We're on day 3 now, and they have it pretty well figured out. Night 2, they even started putting themselves to bed, a shocker.

Now if I could only figure out how to teach the youngest pullets to roost on their pole instead of my supply shelf. They're 6 months old for crying out loud, it's time to roost like a big bird!

Trying putting a board against the pool, like a ramp. Make sure it isn't too steep though. Toss a few peas on the ground at the base of the ramp, lay a few on the ramp and once the ducks are eating the peas toss some into the pool...before you know it you won't be able to keep the ducks out of the pool LOL

Michelle

I tried to help my ducks into the pool by putting a step by the pool. They of course ignored it but manage to jump into the pool and half-fall/half-jump out. Whatever works!

2 of my ducks figured out stairs as babies. One adult has no issue with any kind of obstacle. The rest? Dumber than a box of rocks!

Back
Top Bottom