I've got the Iowa Blues!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Trixy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Trixy

Trixy Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    After 6 months of plotting and planning, I finally got to purchase my first EVER chickens. The best part is that they were #1 on my Breed "want" list, the Iowa Blue, and I couldn't be happier with the 4 girls I got. As far as I can tell (I'm a newbie remember) these girls are very close to the desired coloring and size that the folks over on the Standards page are discussing.

I just wanted to let the lovely folks here at Back Yard Chickens know that there are some Iowa Blues for sale outside of Iowa.
    Here is the link to the lady in Fountain, CO where I got mine from (she has 4 hens and 1 roo left for sale): http://cosprings.craigslist.org/grd/3503938481.html

Here are pics of my Colorado Crew of Iowa Blues
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the Roo she has for sale...he's a pretty and gentle boy:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Heidi Thatcher

Heidi Thatcher Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    California
    Yay!! Congrats on joining the feather brained masses here. :D But be warned... those four will soon turn into 8, then 16, then 32!! You simply can't stay at JUST four, it's wrong. ;)

3. Trixy

Trixy Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I heard the same advice about getting a tattoo and I'm sure you're right! [​IMG] The city will help me control myself with our 10 hen limit, but I'm sure by the time Spring rolls around I'll have full fledged chicken fever. Thanks!

4. Heidi Thatcher

Jan 7, 2013
    California
    Yes, chicken fever is very contageous and there is no cure. Too bad about the city limit you have, but it might be saving you from yourself. lol!

I started out showing one or two cochin chickens at a time each summer in 4H from an apartment in the city with nothing but a tiny patch of grass called a backyard. I now have over 350 birds(chickens, turkeys and pheasant) and 25 alpacas (several of which I show), in addition to 8 family trail horses, 2 milk cows, 1 reindeer (soon to be 3), 4 dogs(2 of which I show), 9 cats(all rescues), 5 turtles(rescues), 5 cockatiels(breeding pair and their babies), loads of aquarium and pond fish, and an ant farm with who knows how many ants.

Addicted?? Me??? No!.... well, maybe a little. [​IMG]

5. Trixy

Trixy Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wow! Sounds like the chore list is a full time job around your house. I'll think twice about complaining about my one dog, one cat and 4 birds now! LOL

6. Heidi Thatcher

Jan 7, 2013
    California
    It's not too bad, luckily I dont have to worry about sub zero temps like I did when we lived in Wisconsin. I much prefer mild winters when it comes to outside chores. :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by