I've got worms - lots of lovely worms!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sjisty, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I haven't checked my mealworm farm in the last few days. As a matter of fact, I was ready to give up and was planning on offering the beetles to the chickens this weekend. Just now I opened one of the bins and lifted up a potato. The entire area of wheat bran was writhing, so I got the flashlight to get a better look. There were thousands of tiny mealworms! I opened the other bin - again thousands of worms! My chickies are going to be so happy!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    maybe I should make one! Hows that done?

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I bought a starter kit from Sillybirds a couple of months ago. I notice he is selling them at auction still - I highly recommend them. I bought wheat bran at my feed store and a couple of large bins. Every so often I placed a cut potato or carrot in the bin and then just waited ... and waited ... and waited. Patience is not my biggest virtue. Now I can't wait until they are big enough to feed the flock!

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I can recommend Sillybird's kit too. My worms and bugs and birds are very happy. [​IMG]

5. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    What does one do with these worms. Do you feed them to your chickens and if so is there a reason? I have no clue about this and am always willing to learn.

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Just wait a month, they will be huge! I forgot to check the baby worms for 2 weeks and WOW are they big.

7. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I too was just about ready to give up- but checked the bin yesterday and saw a bunch of beetles running around. So guess I am on my way! I dont like finding the apples rotting- do potatoes fare better?
    Quiltworks- the worms are great protien, and as one previous post said- like crack for chickens- they love em. checkout http://mealwormstore.com/raising_mealworms.php

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:Protein that squirms - what more could a girl ask for? [​IMG]

9. MelissaR

MelissaR Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    Quote:Sillybirds recommends using carrots cut into 1/8th inch thick disks. The worms will eat most or all of the disk so you won't have mold. It's worked great for me, I've also used this method with potatoes. The only problem with potatoes is that the mealies don't eat the skins so I end up fishing them out.

Good luck!

10. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:How many mealworms did you start with?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by