I'VE GOT WORMS!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LinkieLueville, Aug 11, 2014.

1. LinkieLueville

LinkieLueville Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Winlock Wa
    I have a bad, bad case of worms. I'll admit I'm a pretty lax chicken owner. I've had laying chickens for 2.5 years now. I've never wormed them and they have worms BAD now. I can see them in all of their poos. Tiny little squiggly worms. I have Ivermectin to give them. Doing Wazine today. My main question is the eggs for the next two weeks. I'm getting 6-10 eggs a day and I hate to just throw them away. I can I cook them and feed them back to my hens? Any an all advice is welcome!

I'll be bleaching out my coupe this week.

2. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Read that apple cider vinegar is a natural dewormer. Get some unfiltered, all natural acv in the organic section of your grocery store and mix one tbl spoon per gallon of water. Keep using this in the water container. Supposed to be good for them and easy to do. Also putting diatamaceous earth, food grade, sprinkled in the coop, run, and some in their food will kill worms and mites. Dont know if it will help at this point but will after the worm issue is quelled.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry, this is misinformation. ACV and DE are ineffective in preventing or treating for worms.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since you used wazine, get some safeguard liquid goat wormer and dose each chicken orally 1/2cc with the wormer. Use a syringe without a needle to administer. Forget the ivermectin.
    Don't feed the eggs back to your hens. There's residue in the eggs. The residue can help build resistance the next time you use the wormer and may extend the withdrawal period as well.

5. CHICKLOVER69

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Well, guess you read some good stuff and bad. I went out and bought the ACV and started using it, thinking it would prevent worms. Is there anything natural you can give your birds to prevent worms or do you have to give them worm meds on a scheduled basis?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's your soil that dictates how often you should worm your birds. Warm moist/wet soil requires frequent wormings. Soil that is dry, cool/cold rocky or mountainous or desertlike may only require once a year wormings. Our soil here is warm and wet most of the year. I worm my birds once every 3 months sometimes sooner as I have this year due to our wet weather practically every day.
    Natural products are guesswork , been there done that a long time ago. I use what I know works to kill worms, chemical wormers.

7. CHICKLOVER69

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    mine just turned 4 weeks old. At what age should you start worming? They are still in the brooder right now, but hope to be putting them in their new coop and run over the weekend.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I start worming at about 10 weeks if they're on soil.

9. CHICKLOVER69

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Ok. Thanks

10. HappyHensFarmWV

HappyHensFarmWV Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2015
    I've read that pumpkin seed is also a natural dewormer..maybe just a preventative? My birds don't seem to like the seeds but the love the pumpkin itself so much that last year I had a bunch of hollowed out pumpkins in the garden with chicken butts sticking out where they ate them and then crawled inside to keep eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by